had vacation vs have vacation

devour

Banned
HINDI
My friend vacation are now over and if I ask him about the vacations he had. what would be the correct version?
how many vacation days you had this time?
how many vacation days did you have this time?
how many vacation days you have this time?

• PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    None of them.

"How many days vacation did you have this time?" :tick: = "How many days away from work/in a resort did you have on this latest occasion?"

bicontinental

English (US), Danish, bilingual
    Hello devour,
    Unless you're really interested in the exact number of vacation days, another way of asking the question would be, 'how long was your vacation (this time)?'
    Bic.

ALEX1981X

Banned
    Italian
    Why have I very often heard "vacation days ??? :confused: or at least days of vacation

Is it really a mistake natives?? Paul ??

Loob

English UK
    I'm sorry, Alex, I really don't understand your question:(.

Are you asking about the difference between:
    How many vacation days did you have?
    and
    How many days vacation did you have?

Or are you asking about how it would be natural to express this question in English?

ALEX1981X

Banned
    Italian
    I'm sorry, Alex, I really don't understand your question:(.

Are you asking about the difference between:
    How many vacation days did you have?
    and
    How many days vacation did you have?

Or are you asking about how it would be natural to express this question in English?
    Hi Loob I'd like to know if "days vacation" is possible in English, because I've only heard and used "vacation days" or "days of vacation".

I noticed that Paul used it (days vacation) and wonder why he wrote it in bold

Loob

English UK
    Well, I'll try to answer, Alex, even though I'm not 100% sure I've understood your question...:)

"Vacation days" would imply, to me, "official days off work" - in other words, the amount of time which your employer allows you to take as holiday/vacation as part of your contract of employment.

"Days vacation" (or "Days' vacation") would suggest to me that you were asking about the length of the holiday/vacation.

That said, I wouldn't use "How many days vacation did you have?" myself: I'd say "How long was your holiday?" or (if I were an AmE-speaker) "How long was your vacation?"

< Previous | Next >