haggard and disheveled working parents that we are.

< Previous | Next >

Brookstream

Chinese
This question has been separated from: seriousness for seriousness' sake was its own trophy
Cagey, moderator.

I don't know if you all can see my follow-up here. But I do have another question about this Portman speech... What did she mean when she said “haggard and disheveled working parents that we are” as in

"And now our children are creating a second generation of friendship as we look at them toddling together, haggard and disheveled working parents that we are.”
Apparently this noun phrase is an adjunct to the other part of the sentence, but I just can't make sense of its meaning relation to the rest. Does it mean something like "although as parents we are haggard and disheveled" or "meanwhile we working parents are haggard and disheveled"? <---> Thanks a lot for your help again!

< Directions to video clip removed. Cagey, moderator. >

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Englishmypassion

India - Hindi
    I think this "that" construction with inversion is used to emphasize the situation/status, etc of somebody/something as an explanation for something or to make it more relevant.

Example,
    I don't know anything about wines, a teetotaller that I am.

I hope my post makes sense.

Brookstream

Chinese
    I think this "that" construction with inversion is used to emphasize the situation/status, etc of somebody/something as an explanation for something or to make it more relevant.

Example,
    I don't know anything about wines, a teetotaller that I am.

I hope my post makes sense.
    Thank you, that makes a lot of sense to me!

< Previous | Next >