hai voluto la bicicletta? e allora pedala

friedfrog

Italian, Milan
Ciao a tutti,
mi stavo chiedendo se ci fosse una frase idiomatica corrispondente all'italiano:
"L'hai voluta la bicicletta? e allora pedala".
O comunque una frase per sottolineare a qualcuno di non lamentarsi per le conseguenze che derivano da una scelta fatta.
ciao

• Einstein

UK, English
    An old expression is:
    As you make your bed, so you must lie in it.

I'm sure there's something more modern, but it doesn't come to mind...

Salegrosso

Verona (Italy)
    There is something like "when you find yourself on the dance floor, you've got to dance."
    I think the meaning is different.

The meaning of "Hai voluto la bicicletta..." is well explained by Friefrog: don't express complaints for consequencies of a choice you himself have made.

On the contrary, "...you've got to dance" means - I guess - something like: when you are in some situation, you have to try to do the best possible, it doesn't matter the reason why you are in that situation.

The difference is that in the former you are the only responsible for the situation, in the latter, instead, not necessarily.

Salegrosso

Verona (Italy)
    Remark.
    Very often in the spoken language we say only the first half,
    - Eh, hai voluto la bicicletta?
    and the second part is understood (being obvious).

turbodog

USA/English
    Do "You made your bed, now lie in it" or ".. now you have to lie in it" work?

Or possibly "you have to dance with the one that brought you" or, most commonly and intentionally incorrect: "you got to dance with them what brung you"?

Napoletana

USA - English
    I guess it might depend on the situation exactly? Something like "beggars can't be choosers" or "practice what you preach" might fit.

If you're saying it to someone in an I told you so kind've way, you could say something like "Put that in your pipe and smoke it." Or another similar one that comes off a bit more crude. :p

But "You made your bed, now lie in it" is probably the most similiar proverb you'll find.

friedfrog

Italian, Milan
    Thanks to all guys.
    I think the most appropriate solution is "you made your bed, now lie in it"
    But the one about the "smoke"might suit as well, even though it has a slightly different shade (does my last sentence work in English, guys?)
    ciao!

< Previous | Next >