hairgrip / hairpin / hair clip / hair claw / hair comb

• byrne

English - UK (Londoner)
    Okay here's a female point of view, but I must warn you I'm not very girly so I may be corrected!
    Alx your's is more of a hairclamp/claw..
    reca your's is a hairclip
    and this to my mind is a hairpin (used very often to hold rollers in place). Gentlemen think hairpin bend in formular 1 racing, if that's any help..
    And this is a hairgrip

reka39

Banned
    Italian
    Grazie per le vostre indicazioni. Quindi posso chiamare indifferentemente "hair clip" e "hair claw" "hair clamp" tutte le mollette per capelli che hanno la molla in mezzo? Grazie.

reka39

Banned
    Italian
    Grazie per le vostre indicazioni. Quindi posso chiamare indifferentemente "hair clip" e "hair claw" "hair clamp" tutte le mollette per capelli che hanno la molla in mezzo? Grazie.

Ho trovato recentemente la parola "hair slide". Il dizionario me lo definisce come "a small decorative piece of metal or plastic used by women for holding their hair in place". Questo vuol dire che posso chiamare "hair tie", "hairgrip", "hairpin", "hair clip", "hair claw" e "hair clamp" anche "hair slide"?
    Grazie!!

byrne

English - UK (Londoner)
    The following is my female point of view and not in any way a professional one, the difference as how I see it is how they hold your hair...
    It's sounds scontato but a grip grips the hair, a pin pins it, a clamp clamps it (being claw-like)and a clip clips into place while a slide slides into place and a comb has teeth.

hairgrip

Red+Hair+Grip+2.jpg

hairpin

27-85-thickbox.jpg

hair claw/clamp
    417ja0TIkAL.jpg

hair clip / slide

0246860001_0_0.jpg

hair comb

metal_hair_comb-500x500.jpg

I've tried to make it clearer in my head and I hope I made it clearer for you, but if there are any girly (or non) girls who disagree I would love some clarification ...

Last edited by a moderator:

Pellegrina

English - GB
    The only additional clarification I can offer is that the hair grip (also known as a kirby grip (UK) or bobby pin (US)) is not decorative, but simply serves to hold hair in place.
    (I am not allowed to post links yet)

The same applies to the hair pin (which is a "forcina" in Italian).

Hair slides, hair clips, hair claws and hair combs are more decorative, and refer to different types of article (the links given by byrne are spot on).

As a totally irrelevant aside: I have worked with hairdressers in the past, and they actually make quite careful distinctions between the various types of slide/grip/pin, so I would be very wary of just bunching them all together under one name! The fact that (some) hairdressers are also capable of fixing flowers in your hair with an ordinary office staple gun is totally beside the point!

Paulfromitaly

Italian
    Per ricapitolare e confermare (basandoci sulle immagini del post precedente)

British EnglishAmerican English Italian
    HairgripBobby pinForcina
    HairpinHairpin Forcina
    Hair clip/slideBarrette Molletta
    Hair claw/clampHair claw/clampMollettone
    hair combhair comb Pettinino

Aggiungete i vostri commenti e poi io aggiornerò la tabella
    Grazie!

Last edited:

Tegs

Mód ar líne
    English (Ireland)
    A hairpin for me is the first, brown one in post 9. It can be simple or more elaborate. I don't use the word hairgrip at all and wouldn't be sure what type of hair accessory it referred to if I hadn't read this thread :D

Tegs

Mód ar líne
    English (Ireland)
    Well Jo seems to use it and she speaks BE. I mean, it doesn't sound odd to me, but I'd be more likely to think that it meant what in post 9 is called hair claw / hair clamp (neither of which I had ever heard before).

(I've never had to refer to a hair claw by name before so I've never used a particular term for this thing, I would just buy it in the shop without mentioning it by name.)

You little ripper!

Australian English
    Wikipedia has an interesting :rolleyes: article on the subject:

Barrette - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A barrette (American English), also known as a hair clip, hair-slide or clasp (British English), is a clasp for holding hair in place. They are often made from metal and/or plastic and sometimes feature decorative fabric. In one type of barrette, a clasp is used to secure the barrette in place; the clasp opens when the two metal pieces at either side are pressed together.

Paulfromitaly

Italian
    Wikipedia has an interesting :rolleyes: article on the subject:

Barrette - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A barrette (American English), also known as a hair clip, hair-slide or clasp (British English), is a clasp for holding hair in place. They are often made from metal and/or plastic and sometimes feature decorative fabric. In one type of barrette, a clasp is used to secure the barrette in place; the clasp opens when the two metal pieces at either side are pressed together.
    Now I really can't help asking you how you guys call them in OZ :D

You little ripper!

Australian English
    Now I really can't help asking you how you guys call them in OZ :D
    You clearly chose to ignore the :rolleyes: next to the word 'interesting' in my last post, Paul, but I'll indulge you this one time. There are probably others, but the only ones I know are: hair clip, hair comb and hair claw. The very brief time I ever had long hair, I used this to keep it in place ;):

rubber-band.jpg

Last edited:

Tegs

Mód ar líne
    English (Ireland)
    It is only with this thread that I have noticed my severe lack of vocabulary in this field. I would call those clips, but I'd also call a whole other range of hair accessories clips too. There's probably a very precise term which some hair expert here can tell you :D

sorry66

English, England
    The instrument of torture that MaryB has posted is called 'hair clips' here:
    FS_6472.jpg

Like Tegs, I think most of these hair accessories can be called hair clips if there is a fastening. So not the slides, the pins, the claws and the combs.

Something like this could also be called a hair clasp:
    20120111004.jpg

In my experience your hair doesn't budge.

Although, the packaging said 'Kirby grips' (bobby pin AE), at school we loosely referred to them as 'hairpins'.
    In this Wiki link they say they are a type of hairpin:
    Hairpin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Edit:
    Just found this useful link:
    CLOTHING &#38 ARTICLES :: PERSONAL ACCESSORIES :: HAIRDRESSING :: HAIR ROLLER image - Visual Dictionary Online
    hair-roller.jpg

hair roller pin
    Pin stuck through the roller to hold the lock of wrapped hair in place.
    roller
    Cylinder whose length depends on the length of the lock of rolled hair and whose diameter depends on the desired curl size.
    wave clip
    Plastic pin with interlocking teeth used to secure a lock of hair.
    bobby pin
    Bent filament with tightly closed arms; it is used to secure a section of hair by holding it firmly in place.
    hair clip
    Metal pin with elongated jaws that is used during styling to separate out sections of hair not being worked on.
    barrette
    Bobby pin with a clasp; it is used as adornment or to secure a lock of hair or the whole head of hair.
    hairpin
    Bent filament with spread arms that is used to loosely secure a section of hair such as a chignon.

Last edited: