Haitian Creole: Be good!

bjoleniacz

English, USA
Bonjou!

I was recently in Haiti and I was talking to a group of children who were being mean to each other in church. I wanted to tell them "Stop that! Be nice!" But I didn't know how, because I don't know how to make a command form of "to be" in Creole. The best I could do was say it in French. But they were little, and probably didn't know much French yet. Plus yelling at them in French just makes me seem like a school teacher...

Pa fè sa! Soyez gentils!!!

How can you tell someone "be ____" Be nice! Be patient! Be friendly!

Mèsi anpil!
Brian

• brian

AmE (New Orleans)
    Interesting question. I don't know much about Haitian Creole, but I know that the copula is omitted when followed by an adjective, e.g. Mwen malad = I'm sick.

So I wonder if in the imperative, i.e. Be + adjective, you can just leave it out: Janti!

bjoleniacz

English, USA
    Bonjou!

I was recently in Haiti and I was talking to a group of children who were being mean to each other in church. I wanted to tell them "Stop that! Be nice!" But I didn't know how, because I don't know how to make a command form of "to be" in Creole. The best I could do was say it in French. But they were little, and probably didn't know much French yet. Plus yelling at them in French just makes me seem like a school teacher...

Pa fè sa! Soyez gentils!!!

How can you tell someone "be ____" Be nice! Be patient! Be friendly!

Mèsi anpil!
    Brian
    Peut-être quelqu'un m'aidera si je poser ma demande en français.

Je voudrais savoir comment dire à un groupe d'enfants "soyez sages" ou "soyez gentils!" Je sais qu'ils n'avons pas le verbe "être" alors ils ne peuvent pas utiliser un "être" verbe dans l'imperitif...

merci!
    Brian

< Previous | Next >