half a year

arowaka

Dutch - Suriname
Shalom!

With the help of Google I translated "The Jewish community in 1904 decided to build a new synagogue on the site of the ancient synagogue in the Folkingestraat. Already half a year later, the Chief Rabbi Eliezer placed the first cornerstone" and I got בשנת 1904 החליטה הקהילה היהודית להקים בית כנסת חדש באתר של העתיקה בפולקינגסטראט. שנה וחצי לאחר מכן הניח הרב הראשי אליעזר נמצא באבן הראשונה

Is the Hebrew translation correct? To me שנה וחצי seems to imply "a year and a half" rather than "half a year". Would חצי שנה be the correct way of expressing 'half a year'?

• LXNDR

Russian
    Shalom u-vrakha

The translation is off in two other places as well, but as far as half a year is concerned, you're correct

arowaka

Dutch - Suriname
    Shalom u-vrakha

The translation is off in two other places as well, but as far as half a year is concerned, you're correct
    Thanks for your input. How would you rephrase it?
    While davening Adon Olam (at the part אחרי ככלות הכל) I realized that perhaps it should be אחרי חצי שנה instead of חצי שנה לאחר.

Graciela J

Spanish - Argentina
    Curious. I pasted arowaka's sentence in Google Translate and I got:

הקהילה היהודית בשנת 1904 החליטה להקים בית כנסת חדש באתר בית הכנסת העתיק ברחוב פולקינגסטריט. כבר כעבור חצי שנה הניח הרב הראשי אליעזר את אבן הפינה הראשונה

LXNDR

Russian
    Thanks for your input. How would you rephrase it?
    While davening Adon Olam (at the part אחרי ככלות הכל) I realized that perhaps it should be אחרי חצי שנה instead of חצי שנה לאחר.
    חצי שנה לאחר מכן or noun + חצי שנה לאחר are literary phrasings, the spoken ones are אחרי חצי שנה or noun + חצי שנה אחרי

הקהילה היהודית בשנת 1904 החליטה להקים בית כנסת חדש באתר בית הכנסת העתיק ברחוב פולקינגסטריט. כבר כעבור חצי שנה הניח הרב הראשי אליעזר את אבן הפינה הראשונה
    same here

arowaka

Dutch - Suriname

I forgot to mention that I translated it using the French version (it's adapted on the English version, but corrected by native French speaker).
    Is this translation correct? It looks (much) better than what I posted initially.

< Previous | Next >