Half-brother versus stepbrother

< Previous | Next >

eno2

Dutch-Flemish
Hi,

Are those terms correct for half-brother: ετεροθαλής αδελφός (WR)? ετεροθαλής means half, so that seems OK.
And stepbrother: αδερφός εξ' αγχιστείας (WR)? αγχιστείας is troubling, because that seems to refer to cousin-in law. Not so OK...

Under stepbrother, WR also gives:
(συχνό, αν και αδόκιμο) ετεροθαλής αδερφός. Were 'half' doesn't fit the relation well...Not so OK...

• dmtrs

Greek
    Half-brother=ετεροθαλής αδελφός: This is correct.

Stepbrother=αδερφός εξ' αγχιστείας: That would be an accurate translation, although I've never come across such an expression in Greek. Maybe that's why WR gives "stepbrother=(συχνό, αν και αδόκιμο) ετεροθαλής αδερφός" -meaning we usually call him that, although it's a mistake (since there's no common parent), for lack of another expression. But we use "θετός αδερφός", so there is such an expression.

eno2

Dutch-Flemish
    θετός is step- and foster-, says WR. OK I'll cross out the rest for stepbrother and go for "θετός αδερφός" then.
    The mess (and inadequacy of terminology for some of these narrow family relations) in some languages is such that I stop short here naming and blaming them. :D

Thank you dmtrs.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >