half-hearted

< Previous | Next >

Albferra

Italian
Potreste dirmi se è corretto secondo voi la traduzione della seguete frase "the job was all rather half-hearted" con "il lavoro era abbastanza poco entisiasmente"

• Albferra

Italian
    ok, scrivo anche il pezzo precedente:

"he showed very littile enthusiasm for the job. In fact it was all rather half-hearthed"

Albferra

Italian
    si tratta di una periodo tratto da un quesito nel quale dovevo indovinare proprio l'ultima parte .... half-hearted, e che non capendo il significato ho sbagliato infatti

curiosone

AmE - hillbilly ;)
    The word that comes to mind (to translate 'half-hearted') is 'svogliato.' However the Word Reference Dictionary suggests "poco entusiasta' or 'poco convinto.'

Mary49

Italian
    Quite. Perhaps the offer of a job could be half-hearted. I think we need more context. But perhaps it's just the original Englishh, and HE was half-hearted?
    The textbook is "Cambridge English Empower Advanced c1 workbook with answers"
    This is the exercise:
    1600112978247.png

And these are the answers:
    1600113034676.png

Tellure

Italian
    Rather than the job, it here refers to his attitude, to what he showed/felt about his job, I'd say.
    Dice "It was all rather". Quel "all" non potrebbe riferirsi all'ambiente nel suo complesso? Ad un insieme di cose che rendevano l'ambiente di lavoro poco accogliente, confortevole? Domando.

rrose17

Canada, English
    I agree that the example is not ideal but I don’t have a problem with it.
    Dice "It was all rather". Quel "all" non potrebbe riferirsi all'ambiente nel suo complesso? Ad un insieme di cose che rendevano l'ambiente di lavoro poco accogliente, confortevole? Domando.
    This is a stock expression. It was all rather futile. It was all rather a mess. It was all rather half-hearted. Typical English understatement, I’d say, softening the futility, the mess or the half-heartedness of it all.

You little ripper!

Australian English
    I agree that the example is not ideal but I don’t have a problem with it.
    This is a stock expression. It was all rather futile. It was all rather a mess. It was all rather half-hearted. Typical English understatement, I’d say, softening the futility, the mess or the half-heartedness of it all.
    I don’t have a problem with ”It was all rather half-hearted” or any of those other expressions, Ron. It just doesn’t work for me after “He showed very little enthusiasm for the job”. I would expect something like “In fact, he was pretty half-hearted about everything in his life at the moment”.

MR1492

English -USA
    Hi,
    how can a job be "half-hearted"?
    ok, scrivo anche il pezzo precedente:

"he showed very littile enthusiasm for the job. In fact it was all rather half-hearthed"
    Hi, Mary,

I think it was referring to the original above. The grammar isn’t good but to me it should read:

“He showed very little enthusiasm for the job. In fact, his effort was all rather half-hearted.”

Tellure

Italian
    Hi, Mary,

I think it was referring to the original above. The grammar isn’t good but to me it should read:

“He showed very little enthusiasm for the job. In fact, his effort was all rather half-hearted.”
    Ah ecco! Così, in effetti, ha molto più senso. 👍

Odysseus54

Mod huc mod illuc
    Italian - Marche
    Hi, Mary,

I don't think you need to narrow it down to his effort, or attitude, or the way he performed on his first day at work etc. That "it was all.." can mean all of it and more.

In Italian we might say "E' stata tutta una cosa poco convinta"

Tellure

Italian
    I don't think you need to narrow it down to his effort, or attitude, or the way he performed on his first day at work etc. That "it was all.." can mean all of it and more.

In questo caso, forse anche:

Infatti era tutto così poco interessante/coinvolgente.

?

metazoan

US English
    The "heart" in the term "half-hearted" parallels with phrases like "putting your heart into it" (which means trying your best). So it applies to the employee, not to the job. He, his effort, his approach - any of these can be "half-hearted". He's performing the job duties, but with no commitment.

MR1492

English -USA

I see what you mean. However, my response was intended to clarify that it was something about the employee and not the job which was "half-hearted" which was Mary's concern. I think in my haste to answer Mary's question with a concrete example, I forgot to say it was one of a few possible options. Thanks for pointing that out.

mykys

Italian
    Penso che con "half-hearted" si intende "fatto male", "fatto a caso", "fatto con i piedi", "fatto senza desiderio", "fatto a metà".

< Previous | Next >