Hallmark

man_on_the_moon

Japanese
Hi.

I have a question about "Hallmark." I know it's the name of the company that makes greeting cards, and it also means certificate of quality, or outstanding feature, but I was wondering what this "sounds a bit Hallmark" means in this context? I'd appreciate it if you could tell me what you think about it even if you are not completely sure. Thank you.

"I had a man say to me, ‘You will die alone in a house bigger than you know, with all your money and hit records, and you will die alone.’” In these dark moments, Gaga tells Robinson, she has found meaning in her work: “Even though I know it sounds a bit Hallmark, whenever I [was] in that kind of stressful, worthless moment, I would think, I’ll show you.’"

• Askalon

English (US)
    Greeting cards (like Hallmark's) are known for having very cliche, overused sentiments or phrases. So when she says that her motivational saying "sounds Hallmark," I'm pretty sure she means that it sounds very cliche.

Copyright

American English
    To sound Hallmark is to sound like one of the many platitudes on life that you would find in a Hallmark greeting card -- some little nugget of cloying, cliched, too-pat "wisdom" dispensed in a sentence or two.

Added: Too funny ... I must have logged into this thread and then ignored it for some time before coming back to it and seeing no responses. I wasn't really trying to say the same thing Askalon and JamesM did. ;)

< Previous | Next >