'Hamlet' is the least amenable ....

Beautifully

Korea, Korean
Hello! I am confused about the following context queted by dictionary.
'Hamlet' is the least amenable of all Shakespeare's plays to being summarized.

I wonder whether the text shown above indicates that the Hamlet is largely broad to being summarized or readily available to being summarized.

I thank you all of you. The luck always will be our lives.

• katie_here

England/English
    I'm not exactly sure what you are asking, but the sentence in blue means that it is the hardest of all Shakespeares plays to be summarised. Using the word "amenable" implies that the actual play has some choice in whether it wants to be summarised or not. It's as though they are talking about "Hamlet" as if it were a living autonomous being. But really, it just means of all the plays, Hamlet is the most difficult to summarise.

Thomas Tompion

English - England
    Hello! I am confused about the following context queted by dictionary.
    'Hamlet' is the least amenable of all Shakespeare's plays to being summarized.

I wonder whether the text shown above indicates that the Hamlet is largely broad to being summarized or readily available to being summarized.

I thank you all of you. The luck always will be our lives.
    In my view, Katie is right to suggest that amenable suggests that the play has some view about whether or not it is summarized.

I'd say:

Of all Shakespeare's plays, Hamlet is the least easy to summarize.

The to being summarized is very clumsy. You need a different dictionary. Incidentally, I don't think Hamlet is any harder to summarize than, say, Troilus and Cressida or Titus Andronicus.

Beautifully

Korea, Korean
    All you mentioned about my question is good enough for me to understand at all.
    Thanks again!

< Previous | Next >