han permitido determinar

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Grammar / Gramática Español-Inglés' started by alfito, Dec 11, 2013.

1. alfito Senior Member

spanish- Madrid, Spain
    Hello everybody

I'm trying to translate the following sentece about the analysis of pigments in prehistoric rock art paintings:

"La combinación de diferentes tecnicas fisicoquímcas....y....han permitido determinar las fuentes de materia prima..."

I'm not quite sure about the"han permitido determinar", my try: "The combination of different physicochemical tecniques ...and....has allow to determinethe sources of raw material..."
    but it doesn't sound right to use has allow to without an object in the middle like "has allow us to determine" but I don't want to change the source text inroducing "us". is there any other way, a better way to do it? any ideas? or is my translation correct?

I've also tried to do it like this: "has allowed for the determining of the sources of raw material" but it sounds even worse!

There has to be a better way, please open my eyes! I don't see it!

Thanks for your help and attention!

2. Peterdg

Peterdg Senior Member

Belgium
    Dutch - Belgium
    First of all, it is "has allowed".

Second, I don't see any problem using it without "us".

Another possibility would be: "... has made it possible to determine..."

I would forget about "... for the determining ..."; it sounds awkward.:)

3. Vol Boy

Vol Boy Senior Member

Tennessee, USA
    English / Appalachian English

4. alfito Senior Member

spanish- Madrid, Spain
    thanks for your quick reply! and thanks for pointing out the missing ed! now that I see it it looks terrible!
    I like your "has made it possible to determine" it sounds more natural than my second option for sure
    thanks again

5. Vol Boy

Vol Boy Senior Member

Tennessee, USA
    English / Appalachian English
    "Has made it possible to determine" sounds fine.

I found an error in my original post. It should be, "...have [insert your interpretation here] raw material sources. Although, I will note that the rest of the sentence would be helpful: Han permitido is have allowed, but when speaking of the "combination" of techniques, you would say "the combination of techniques has allowed..."

Saludos desde Tennessee.

6. alfito Senior Member

spanish- Madrid, Spain
    Hello Vol Boy

Thanks for your quick reply! I like your option and for sure I'll give you more context:

it's a short text about the use of analysis of pigments in the research of prehistoric paintings. What the text means is that by using certain tecniques and approaches they have been able to tell what is the source of the raw material...etc: The whole sentence goes like this:
    "La combinación de diferentes técnicas fisicoquímicas y distintos planteamientos teóricos y metodológicos, han permitido determinarlas fuentes de materia prima, las cadenas operativas, la composición de la pintura, los procesos tafonómicos…, que en algunos casos pueden también tener implicaciones cronológicas."

"Thecombination of different physicochemical techniques and (different) theoretical and methodological approaches has allowed for the determination of the sources of the raw material, the operational sequences, the paint composition, the taphonomic processes … that in certain/some cases could also have chronological implications"

I also tought about using determination instead of determining but I thought it wasn't correct, I wasn't sure. what do you think?

Last edited: Dec 12, 2013
  7. alfito Senior Member

spanish- Madrid, Spain
    Thanks again! I didn't want to bore everybody with a long sentence but you are probably right and more context is needed.

"La combinación de diferentes técnicas fisicoquímicas y distintos planteamientos teóricos y metodológicos, han permitido determinarlas fuentes de materia prima, las cadenas operativas, la composición de la pintura, los procesos tafonómicos…, que en algunos casos pueden también tener implicaciones cronológicas. " so we are talking about the "combination" so it should be "has allowed" right? Vol Toy has suggested using "has allowed for the determination of the sources of raw material...".
    thanks for also correcting "raw material sources".

My try: "Thecombination of different physicochemical techniques and (different) theoretical and methodological approaches has allowed for the determination of the raw material sources, the operational sequences, the paint composition, the taphonomic processes … that in certain/some cases could also have chronological implications" what do you think? I'm not sure of so many "the" in the list either.

Thanks for your time!

Last edited: Dec 12, 2013
  8. alfito Senior Member

spanish- Madrid, Spain
    sorry to everybody for the different fonts and sizes, my computer or my fingers are going crazy...

I have corrected it so that you can read it properly