han rendido la materia

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by HallePuppy, Feb 8, 2011.

1. HallePuppy Senior Member

Mexico
    English-US
    Hi,

I have this sentence in an article from Argentina:

"El alumno debe saber adecuarse a las actitudes, preferencias y prohibiciones del profesor ('primero hablo con los chicos que ya han rendido la materia para saber a qué me enfrento')."

I really haven't a clue as to what it means. I don't know if the author is talking about students who have given up on the subject, or who have turned in their work, or who have already taken the course, or what!

Thanks in advance for your help!

:)

2. k-in-sc

k-in-sc Senior Member

Who have already taken the course/class.

3. HallePuppy Senior Member

Mexico
    English-US
    Great! Many, many thanks!

4. albertovidal

albertovidal Senior Member

Bs.As.-Argentina
    Spanish, Argentina
    De acuerdo con k-in-sc. Rendir una materia es "to take"

5. k-in-sc

k-in-sc Senior Member

I wonder if that's the way they say it in other places too, or only in the RP.

6. Guillo1 Senior Member

Spanish - Argentina
    Not only taken the course, but actually taken the final exams. When you are taking a course you say that you are "cursando la materia". When you have "rendido la materia", it means you have taken the final exams.

7. k-in-sc

k-in-sc Senior Member

That's a good point. As I understand it, you can take the class and then put off the final exam, or take it again later if you fail it. At least in Uruguay. But I'm a little confused about the whole thing.

8. Ushuaia

Ushuaia Senior Member

Buenos Aires
    castellano rioplatense
    I concur.
    To make it a bit more complicated, you may even take the final exam without taking the course; "rendir (un examen)" means just "to sit (for an exam)."

9. albertovidal

albertovidal Senior Member

Bs.As.-Argentina
    Spanish, Argentina
    It sounds funny but you're right.
    Anyway, 'primero hablo con los chicos que ya han rendido la materia para saber a qué me enfrento' ,to my best understanding, the boy, before taking the exam wants to talk to those who already have taken it (either succeeded or just were sat for the exam and didn't make it).
    Saludos

10. k-in-sc

k-in-sc Senior Member

Yes, the point is that since they've taken the class they can tell you what the professor is like.
    (student)
    (passed)
    (took the exam)
    (didn't pass)

11. HallePuppy Senior Member

Mexico
    English-US
    Thank you, thank you all! What you are saying fits my context perfectly.