Hand (as an acronym)

cfu507

Hebrew
Hi,
If I would end a letter with HAND, would you know that I meant: Have A Nice Day?

Do you use it as an Internet slang for I wish you a pleasant day or Good day? Is it common?

Thank you as always...

• Matching Mole

England, English
    I would not. Although I know a great many Internet abbreviations I have not heard this one. Not that I doubt that some people will be using it.

I would say it is likely to be confused with the dismissive "talk to the hand" phrase and gesture, which means, loosely, "I am not listening". That is what I immediately thought of when I read your post.

Larentia

USA -- English
    I've never seen "HAND" used before.
    Only "Have a nice day."

Yeah, that's what it means. Saying "have a nice day" is common, but I don't really know about "HAND."

JeffJo

USA
    USA, English
    No, I would not understand that. English does not easily replace common words with acronyms. People would think you were applauding them.

liliput

U.K. English
    I've never, ever seen HAND or ROFL. But then again I'm no expert on internet chat-speak, the best way to find out would be to look at some internet chat-rooms and see if people are using it. I recently became aware of lol (laugh out loud), and even that took me a while to figure out.

Matching Mole

England, English
    ROFL (and ROFLMAO) is one of the classic Internet chat-speak abbreviations, along with LOL and BRB and they've been around for well over 10 years and I've seen them used 100s of times. HAND though I have never seen anyone use, it sounds like one of those that someone thought was a good idea but didn't catch on, but nevertheless survives in "dictionaries".

I can't see it being a youth thing that us oldies haven't cottoned on to, as "Have a nice day" is hardly youth-speak. I guess it sometimes help to understand these abbreviations, but I wouldn't recommend using them.

LV4-26

[...]HAND though I have never seen anyone use, it sounds like one of those that someone thought was a good idea but didn't catch on, but nevertheless survives in "dictionaries".
    I'm sure MM is right here. Unless the recipient has the same dictionary as you, (s)he's most likely to be confused by this "HAND".

Chatspeaks abbreviations have been dealt with in other threads. So I think we should focus on this specific one (provided it needs further comments).

difficult cuss

English England
    Hi CFU507

You ask "If I would end a letter with HAND, would you know that I meant: Have A Nice Day?" for me the answer would be, no.

Might I suggest that as this is used in emails and websites, it ought to stay within those confines, where it will be understood?

Just a slight aside on this, "have a nice day" is one of those limp, lifeless expressions which really amount to nothing, it is said by staff when a customer exits a shop, by people you do not know you and who, in general do not care whether your day is good, bad, indifferent or even "nice". How about writing something personal instead?

< Previous | Next >