hand-held / clip-on microphone

Discussion in 'Specialized Terminology' started by jferl, Feb 14, 2018.

1. jferl

jferl Member

English - United States
    Hello all,

I am translating an article from English to Spanish that explains when to use certain types of microphones. The article basically explains the difference between using a hand-held microphone and a clip-on microphone. I need help translating the terms "clip-on microphone" and "hand-held microphone." I have some ideas that I found through a combination of google and past Spanish professors:

1. hand-held microphone:
    - micrófono de bobina
    - micrófono de mano

2. clip-on microphone
    - micrófono solapa
    - micrófono de corbata

Do any of these sound right? Do you know what the terms are supposed to be? Thanks in advance!!

2. jferl

jferl Member

English - United States
  3. jsvillar Senior Member

Madrid
    Spanish - Spain
    'Bobina móvil' is a technology that is normally applied to the 'micrófonos de mano' because it is robust and cheap, but it doesn't mean 'hand-held microphone'. It is as if you translate the English word 'taxi' as 'coche híbrido' because many taxi drivers in Spain use hybrid cars!
    My proposal would be 'micrófono de mano' and 'micrófono de solapa'. Check the last point of this page: Micrófono - Wikipedia, la enciclopedia libre

4. Hakuna Matata

Hakuna Matata Senior Member

Español - Argentina
    :tick::tick:

5. jferl

jferl Member

English - United States
    Thank you so much!!

6. lauranazario

lauranazario Moderatrix

Puerto Rico
    Español puertorriqueño & US English
    In my corner of the Spanish-speaking world we say:
    clip-on microphone = lavalier

While some people might mistakenly believe thar lavalier is a brand, it really isn't.
    On the Spanish-language link jvillar provided, they do acknowledge the term lavalier but they wrote it with a capital L (probaby based on the incorrect assumption that it is a brand).
    Lavaliers are sold under many brands: One, Two, Three, Four

Hope that helps.

Saludos,
    LN