Hand up or handout ?

< Previous | Next >

Gavin

Chinese
IMG_20150321_120635.jpg1426958451512.jpg Today I read a pretty good book named Taking sides published by McGraw Hill, however, on the page 87 I read the 4th question which said A welfare hand up can make the recipient dependent but can also help him or her to become independent. What factors make the difference ? Here I am a little confused that if the writer should use handout here instead of hand up ? Did he make a mistake ? thanks

• PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    No, he did not.

To give someone a hand up. = to give someone something that will help them move from a lower position in life to a higher position.
    To give someone a hand-out. = to give them money for whatever purpose they wish to use it.

ain'ttranslationfun?

US English
    No, he did not.

To give someone a hand up. = to give someone something that will help them move from a lower position in life to a higher position.
    To give someone a hand-out. = to give them money for whatever purpose they wish to use it.
    Exactly, with (I think) the nuance that the recipient need do nothing/needn't respond to any criteria to 'earn' a hand-out.

< Previous | Next >