handcock [Hancock]

• Lis48

English - British
    I think you will find it is called Hancock not Handcock and is the name of the hero, John Hancock, played by Will Smith.

CruzJove

Spain, Spanish
    A pesar de ser el apellido del personaje, parece que hay un juego de palabras entre Hancock y "capullo" en la versión española de la película. Lo que hace pensar que en la jerga estadounidense, "capullo" debe tener una fonética parecida a Hancock. ¿Alguien lo puede confirmar?

greenie

English, USA
    I have never heard that. Cocoon is capullo and I have never heard anyone call a cocoon a hancock. However, we do use the word hancock to mean someone's signature. This comes from back in the days when our founding fathers were signing the Constitution. One of those old guys was named John Hancock.

Pichuchis

Spanish-Argentina
    According to the Longman online dictionary:
    Hancock, John

(1737-93) a US politician who was the president of the Continental Congress before the US became an independent country, and was the first person to write his name on the Declaration of Independence

Antpax

Spanish Spain
    I have never heard that. Cocoon is capullo and I have never heard anyone call a cocoon a hancock. However, we do use the word hancock to mean someone's signature. This comes from back in the days when our founding fathers were signing the Constitution. One of those old guys was named John Hancock.

Hi greenie,

I think Cruz is talking about "capullo" not as cocoon but as jerk.

Cheers.

Ant

fenixpollo

American English
    Hancock doesn't have a secondary meaning as far as I know. There is no play on words in the American title of the movie Hancock -- it's just a guy's last name.

jjss

Spain/Spanish
    Un poco tarde pero quizás ayude. En la versión original le dicen "asshole" lo que han traducido en el doblaje como "capullo".
    Lo de "han(d)cock" y su identificación como capullo creo que ha sido un truco que te ha jugado tu imaginación ;-)

Quiche

Castellano - España
    Hancock was leaving the hospital after suffering from amnesia and a nurse asked for his "John Hancock", meaning his signature (as Pichuchis says, it's the name of the first person to sign the Declaration of Independence) He thought John Hancock was his name.