Hang up your back pack in your closet

earthmerlin

English-US
Bonjour. I'd like to tell my little one, 'Go hang up your back pack (sweater, coat, etc.) in your closet please' & I've got 'Va et accroche ton sac à dos (pull, manteau, etc.) dans ton placard s'il te plaît'. Am I close in my translation? Merci d'avance.

• wistou

French - France
    Your translation is pretty close, but we would put it slightly differently in French:

"Va accrocher to sac à dos (...) dans ton casier, s'il te plaît"

ajct

English (UK)
    Hi,

I would suggest that "casier" would work if the said closet was in a school or other institution. In a home context, "placard" is OK.

whims

french (France)
    I agree with wistou about "va accrocher ton sac à dos" but why "casier" rather than "placard"? "Placard" is a good translation, isn't it ?

franc 91

English - GB
    What I don't understand is this - do you mean - put the backpack on a hook in the cupboard? or do you mean - put away the contents ie the clothes on the shelves in the cupboard?

wistou

French - France
    I agree with wistou about "va accrocher ton sac à dos" but why "casier" rather than "placard"? "Placard" is a good translation, isn't it ?
    As ajct explains, "casier" is the word used in schools, factories, etc... which was the context here, I believe. But it is right that you would use "placard" if is at home.
    Regards.

earthmerlin

English-US
    Thanks, guys, for the insightful & speedy replies. Yes, it is a (walk-in) closet at home that has a hook on which I'd like my daughter to hang her back pack, so I'll stick with 'placard'. I'm glad though, to learn of the other word for closet & thank you kindly for extending my French in this way. Take care.

< Previous | Next >