hangozzak, hangozz(ál), hangozzon, hangozzunk, hangozzatok, hangozzanak

angeloegabri

Italian
So, in the Subjunctive, the verb "hangzani" makes: hangozzak, hangozz(ál), hangozzon, hangozzunk, hangozzatok, hangozzanak
Which other common verbs have a Subjunctive in "-ozz-"?

• angeloegabri

Italian
    AndrasBP! I have just found another one!
    kormányozni :):)
    But then, is it for all the verbs ending in "z"?
    Thank you for your answer!
    Have a good day! :):)

AndrasBP

Hungarian
    I have just found another one!
    kormányozni :):)
    The personal forms of "kormányozni" are of the same type, but the infinitive is different ( it's "-ozni", not "-zani"). ;)

The "-zni" type is much more common. We have tons of such verbs, mostly derived from nouns, e.g.:

autózni, levelezni, teniszezni, borozni, sörözni, utazni, etc...

(autó
    zzak, levelezz(él), teniszezzen, borozzunk, sörözzetek, utazzanak :))

Zsanna

ModErrata
    Hungarian - Hungary
    As it is the "j" of the imperative that "changes" into (= becomes the same as) the final consonant of the stem of the verb, any verb that ends with "z" (like in the examples given above, no.4., by AndrasBP) will have the double "z" in the imperative.

As the "o" is not an important part of the suffix (changes according to the vocal harmony), you just have to chose the verbs with the appropriate vowels. (In Hungarian, in this case, mély magánhangzós szavak: verbs containing either of these vowels: a,á, o,ó, u,ú and i,í in some cases.)

(Don't forget that we cannot give lists of words here!)

francisgranada

Hungarian
    So, in the Subjunctive, the verb "hangzani" makes: hangozzak, hangozz(ál), hangozzon, hangozzunk, hangozzatok, hangozzanak

Etymologically, these forms derive from "hangozni" and not from "hangzani". The form "hangozni" is rather archaic or maybe regional/dialectal. (However, in my personal opinion, still not unnatural).

(So, from the linguistic point of view, not the conjugation in subjunctive is exceptional, but rather the infinitive "hangzani" which has lost the etymological ending -o of the stem. Words like autózni, levelezni, teniszezni, borozni, sörözni, utazni ... are created by analogy, they are evidently not original Finno-Ugric terms ...)

angeloegabri

Italian
    Zsanna, AndrasBP, francisgranada, excuse-me for not answering at once to you all.
    Your explanations are really enlightening ones for me; thank you!
    Now, I wanted to ask what follows.
    Does it happen that someone (a child for instance) says "autozj(ál)!" instead of "autozzon!"?

angeloegabri

Italian
    I made a mistake.
    I must put "autozj(ál)!" in parallel with "autozz(ál)!"
    So my question becomes:
    Does it happen that someone (a child for instance) says "autozj(ál)!" instead of "autozz(ál)!"?

francisgranada

Hungarian
    Does it happen that someone (a child for instance) says "autozj(ál)!" instead of "autozz(ál)!"?
    An interesting question :) ... I think it is not typical for the following reason:

This "j" phonetically often merges into the previous consonant in pronunciation, even if it is present in the spelling. For example menjél [mennyél], hagyjál [haggyál], álljál [ájjál], etc ... Further more, in many cases the combination of "j" with the previous consonant leads to a qualitatively different sound, like e.g. tessél < tetsz + jél, hassál < hat + jál, etc ...

(In square brackets [] is the pronunciation with Hungarian spelling)

Thus e.g. for a child, I think, it would be almost impossible to decompose spontaneously this "j", as there are too many verbs where the presence of this "j" is not evident.

Last edited:

angeloegabri

Italian
    Thanks, francisgranada, for your answer.
    Answer so rich of teaching elements for me.
    So, yes, I understand, it would be impossibile to say what I said.
    Thank you again very, very much!
    :):)