happen upon a

< Previous | Next >

supermarioutd

Persian
Hello to all,

Am I using happen upon correctly here? How common is it? I want to use it instead of come across.

I was walking in a shopping center and happened upon a jacket in the window of a store whose ad I'd seen on the Internet.

• Uncle Jack

British English
    The usage of "happen upon" is correct, but it seems a little old-fashioned to me. I could be wrong though.

"whose ad I'd seen on the Internet" is awkward, and I suspect you mean you'd seen an ad for the jacket, but it reads as if you'd seen an ad for the store.

supermarioutd

Persian
    The usage of "happen upon" is correct, but it seems a little old-fashioned to me. I could be wrong though.

"whose ad I'd seen on the Internet" is awkward, and I suspect you mean you'd seen an ad for the jacket, but it reads as if you'd seen an ad for the store.
    Is this better? : I was walking in a shopping center and in the window of a store I came across a jacket whose ad I'd seen on the Internet.

Uncle Jack

British English
    Is this better? : I was walking in a shopping center and in the window of a store I came across a jacket whose ad I'd seen on the Internet.
    Yes, that is clear. I cannot help you with an alternative to "come across"; nothing comes to mind. This does not mean that there isn't another expression you can use.

< Previous | Next >