happened to sumble into the stereotype-cliche

< Previous | Next >

MaryamSeresht

Persian
Hi,

Please tell your idea about the red sentence. I just guess that it means this student has just taken the habit of using cliche!

Here, in the Calcutta airport, an Indian student brings back-from US, or Europe-"a bright blonde, pretending it was nothing, trying to be easy, but every molecule tense and self-conscious: "Come on, yaar, love has no color...." He had just happened to stumble into the stereotype; he was the genuine thing that just happened to be the cliche...."

It's part of Inheritance of Loss, a novel by Kiran Desai.

Many thanks.

• LilianaB

Banned
    Lithuanian
    No, it does not mean that, Maryam,. I am pretty sure. It definitely refers to the bright blonde, who he is ashamed of as a deception of his own culture even though he is trying to convince himself that it was real love. In the end it turns out to be just a sterotype, at least in the narrator's view.

MaryamSeresht

Persian
    I'm grateful of your help, Lilliana. So his behavior became superficial, he's not real anymore, or he has just become a hypocrite, yes?

Last edited:

pwmeek

English - American
    I differ:

The Indian student is self-conscious because he thinks he will be perceived as a stereotype or cliché, just because he has done what is considered to be a cliché - come home with a blonde.

He is asserting, maybe only with body language, that in his case it is genuine love which has made him accidentally look like the stereotype. (This may or may not be true. The quoted text does not say either way.)

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >