happening mean fashionable?

kenny4528

Mandarin, Taiwan
Hi, in the following sentence, does happening mean fashionable?

Throbbing with activities of various kinds 24-7, the hip and happening Bukit Bintang remains Kuala Lumpur’s trendiest shopping and entertainment district.

• Alxmrphi

UK English
    If a place is 'happening' it means it is a lively place where all the action happens, where the are a lot of 'goings on'.
    It's also very commonly collocated with 'hip' like in your example.

'hip and happening' = popular, lively, fashionable place to be.

kenny4528

Mandarin, Taiwan
    If a place is 'happening' it means it is a lively place where all the action happens, where the are a lot of 'goings on'.

'hip and happening' = popular, lively, fashionable place to be.
    Got it, thank you~

sdgraham

USA English
    I've not come across this term in the U.S., but as an old fogey, I miss out on a lot of the current jargon of young people (unless it's out of the mouths of the mindless on TV talk shows.)

Is this common in AE?

Infininja

American English
    Yes. Of course language among young people has a high turnover rate. They'd recognize what you were saying, but you might show your age by saying it. ;)

Alxmrphi

UK English
    I do agree we have a high turnover rate of language that's 'in' but then is 'out' a year later, then it comes back 2 years later as a fun reminder of how things used to be, and then can stay in that category or just be forgotten.

But 'happening' is perfectly fine now, nobody would show their age by saying that.

< Previous | Next >