happiness level

Kacy.H

Chinese
Hello, everyone.

I wrote a sentence :
If medical care is free for everyone, the happiness level of the whole society will increase.

But, my teacher says:Happiness level isn’t something that we usually try to measure.

Really? I googled and found some articles write "higher happiness level". Isn't "higher happiness level" an implication that "happiness level" is measurable.

Anyway, based on his advice, I changed my sentence to:
If medical care is free for everyone, the degree of happiness of the whole society will increase.

Thanks in advance

• Kacy.H

Chinese
    You could have simply said people will be happier rather than using "degree of happiness" etc.
    I am writing an academic essay. Don't you think "people will be happier" is too informal.
    I still want to know if "the happiness level of the whole society will increase" is correct or not.

Thank you so much!

Englishmypassion

India - Hindi
    Oh, I see. I find "happiness level" fine. I was offering an alternative to your suggestion, without realising that you were writing an academic paper.

manfy

German - Austria
    The times they are a-changin'! Your teacher is wrong; happiness is being measured and monitored and here's the link to prove it: World Happiness Report 2017

I am writing an academic essay. Don't you think "people will be happier" is too informal.
    I'd say, 'informal' is the wrong word. "People will be happier" is a perfectly normal and unambiguous statement. But if you are aiming for a more scientific and academic style, then your original phrasing sounds just fine to me and it's perfectly grammatical. Also EMP's "degree of happiness" is a good term.

< Previous | Next >