Happy 20th Anniversary FOR/TO?

< Previous | Next >

GENS

Japanese
hi guys. today, i want to ask you what is the best expression to say when i celebrate my mom's 20th anniversay to be my mother. what line goes after 'Happy 20th Anniversary' ? 'to be my Mom', 'For being my Mom' or 'becoming a mother' ? :confused:

(since im the first son, my 20th birthday is also mom's 20th anniversary. so im planning to present a tea cup, printed a single line.)

• Cypherpunk

US, English
    I'm sorry, this isn't a sentiment we normally express in English (20th anniversary as a mother), certainly not in AE, anyway. That's not to say we don't love our moms, we just don't say it like that.
    For other anniversaries, we normally just say 'Happy 20th Anniversary'. You could follow that up with 'I love you' or 'I appreciate everything you have done for me'.

JamesM

You could have the cup engraved with something like "In Appreciation of 20 Years of Motherhood". It's a bit imporsonal and formal but I think it is closer to what would be written in English. I agree with Cyberphunk. We don't use "anniversary" as a word related to motherhood.

A less formal inscription could be "Thanks for 20 Years, Mom!" or "Thanks for 20 years of Being a Great Mom/Mother" or "Thank You For the Gift Of Life 20 Years Ago".

Transatlantic

srpskohrvatski; English
    Answering the linguistic side of your question, it is "the 20th anniversary of being a mother/my mother".

Otherwise, if your mom is Japanese, why not just have the inscription made in Japanese, especially since you will know the culturally appropriate way of expressing the particular sentiment you wish to convey?

If you still think you want it to be in English, I'd go for "Thanks for 20 Years, Mom!" or "Thanks for 20 years of Being a Great Mom/Mother". They're both warm, direct, and not overly sugary.

GENS

Japanese
    thanks a lot for quick suggestions :) i will choose JamesM's. the reason i dont use Japanese is, you know, japanese letters are complicated enough and im afraid of that some pars of Kanji are faded after few year. i presented a similar thing to my nan 3 years ago with Japanese message but now archaeologist's knowledge is needed to read that.

Last edited by a moderator:
    < Previous | Next >