happy as a clam

blagoliv

italian
The sentence: A woman is in a come because of Andrew, and there he is, happy as a clam.

Ovviamente capisco che "Andrew è felice come una pasqua", ma è davvero così? E' un modo di dire idiomatico e usato?

grazie

• elfa

English
    The whole phrase is "as happy as a clam at high water" - the origin of the phrase is that clams can't be preyed on when the tide is in and they are snug in the water. See here

TimLA

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    This is a linguistics forum, and we should expose non-native foreros to as many similar phrases as possible - it's a step on the path to fluency.:)

Here's a google with many nice ones, of which these are outstanding:
    Happy as a clam (very common in AE)
    Happy as a lark
    Happy as a pig in feces
    Happy as a dog with two penises
    Happy as a flea in a doghouse

The forum is PG-13, so some of the words have been modified from the original.:rolleyes:

marcolettici

English U.S.
    I guess some of these colloquialisms get truncated over time across oceans. I have heard the whole phrase, it resonates, but I think just the first half was a favorite of my father. A place for wonderful little metaphors of the type is older people in the southern US. The language there can be pure poetry.

Tegs

Mód ar líne
    English (Ireland)
    I was wondering how to say "happy as a clam" in Italian, and came across this old thread.

So, if someone says "How are you?" and you want to say "Happy as a clam!" would this translate as "Come stai?" - "Felice come una pascua!"?

Can the Italian phrase be used this way? Or is there something better? Thanks.

< Previous | Next >