Happy as Larry AE

< Previous | Next >

hampton.mc

French
‘What are you talking about?’ asked Dave ‘you always seem happy as Larry!’
‘Well, I am not happy as fucking Larry!'

Is the expression "happy as Larry" used in the States?

• Copyright

American English
    I've never heard it, but I've been away for some time. The Urban Dictionary has a single entry that gets many positive votes: happy as larry:
    to be very happy
    Australian/New Zealand Slang

When Warney finally got a cold beer, he was happy as larry.

Copyright

American English
    None that I can think of. The closest I can get you is the first three letters (lar):

happy as a lark

Etymology: Derived from comparison to the seemingly cheerful birdsong of a lark.

Adjective: 1. (simile, colloquial) Very happy (sometimes with the extra connotations of being carefree or unaware of grimmer realities).

She's happy as a lark with her ten-dollar pay raise, even though the long-term prospects for the business are not good.

Copyright

American English
    I should warn you before you try it out on a lark (a carefree or spirited adventure) that it's not a very popular expression these days. It's something your great-aunt might say.

hampton.mc

French
    It wouldn't do then because it's said by a 40 year old man :(
    What else could he use?

‘What are you talking about?’ asked Dave ‘you always seem happy as ???!’ or 'as happy as ???'

Pedro y La Torre

English (Ireland)
    I always thought "happy as larry" derived from American English. You learn something new every day.

There's another one along the same lines, "as sound as a trout", but that may be confined to Ireland.

< Previous | Next >