Happy birthday

Sparkle

Portugal (Portuguese)
Hi!

Could anyone please tell me how do you say "Happy Birthday" in Kuwaiti? A friend from Kuwait got his bday comin' up and I wanted to wish him a good one in his language!:)

Thanks!

• cherine

Arabic (Egypt).
    I'm not really sure about the exact expression used in Kuwait, but i'll give you the two expressions I know, and I guess they must use at least one of them :
    kol sana wenta tayyeb (if your friend is a he)
    kol sana wenty tayyeba (if your friend is a she)
    The beautiful thing about this expression is that it's common for all feasts and new year :) (at least that what we do in Egypt)

The other one is : 3id milad sa3id (the "3" refers to a sound in Arabic which i'm not sure if you know or not "the ein".) If you don't know that letter just disregard it and pronounce: íd milád sa-íd. (i put accents on the long vowels)

Hope i've been of help. At least until someone else comes with a better answer.

NICE-LADY

ARABIC
    cherine said:
    Hope i've been of help. At least until someone else comes with a better answer.
    Well, I am not sure if my answer is better than Shireen's, but I think in Kuwait they use "3iid Mbaarak" or 3iidak Mbaarak" (male) or "3iidich Mbarrak". I think it is common to say " 3ugbaal l-120" (with 'g' instead of 'q'- according to the Gulf accent). But I am still not sure of this. What I am sure is that they say "3asaakum mn 3uwwaada" instead of the common "kull sana wenta Tayyib" or Kull 3aam wenta bkhair" to wish a happy greetings on a feast or a vacation (but I don't think birthday). Anyway, I hope I helped a little. I think the best help would be from a native of Gulf Arabic, if we might call it so.

Sparkle

Portugal (Portuguese)
    Thanks you guys! His bday was today, so I risked and sent him an email with the expression "kol sana wenta tayyeb"... He liked it and said it was correct.. I know absolutely nothing of Arabic, so thank you very very much for your help! =D

But now i'm curious to know what's the specific expression to say "Happy Birthday"...

ayed

Arabic(Saudi)
    Sparkle said:
    Thanks you guys! His bday was today, so I risked and sent him an email with the expression "kol sana wenta tayyeb"... He liked it and said it was correct.. I know absolutely nothing of Arabic, so thank you very very much for your help! =D

But now i'm curious to know what's the specific expression to say "Happy Birthday"...
    I think it is :

"Eid Sa'eed" Or "Eid Milad Sa'eed"

cherine

Arabic (Egypt).
    Sparkle said:
    ... thank you very very much for your help!
    You're welcome Sparkle :)
    As for the "specific" expression, I think with the various suggestions we all gave here, you can understand that there is not one and only one exact expression, each country or group of people have their own way to express the same idea. So, either you learn them all :D or simply one or two of them. The good thing with this wide variety is that you'll be understood by all, for their meaning is obvious even if you say it to people who don't use it :)

elroy

Imperfect Mod
    US English/Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    As Ayed said, the standard expression (understood everywhere in the Arab world) is "3iid (miilaad) sa3iid." However, as Cherine pointed out, each colloquial dialect may have other variants. In Palestinian Arabic, we would say "kul sane w inte saalem" to a guy and "kul sane w inti saalme" to a girl. Nevertheless, I would have understood Cherine's version, as would most other Arabs as well.

< Previous | Next >