Happy Clappies

gaer

US-English
Yet another slang term. This was said by one student in Scotland to another who had just joined the "Happy Clappies". (He just become a Christian, and I think the term is something like our "Holy Rollers". Has anyone seen or heard this?

Gaer

• Benjy

English - English
    yup. i'd probably say "happy clappers" myself. have no idea which is more common if one is more common that is :s it just making refernce to the slightly over excitable antics of certain evangilists during chuch services. they get happy, and then they clap.

ps. im aware that this IS a stereotype and hence the use of the word "certain"

gaer

US-English
    Benjy said:
    yup. i'd probably say "happy clappers" myself. have no idea which is more common if one is more common that is :s it just making refernce to the slightly over excitable antics of certain evangilists during chuch services. they get happy, and then they clap.

ps. im aware that this IS a stereotype and hence the use of the word "certain"
    It could have been "happy clappers", but it sounds funnier if it rhymes. So I think that is what I heard. Now I can't find it. Time fo Google!!!

http://216.239.57.104/search?q=cache:tQtDLXna3sIJ:www.st-michaels.org.uk/sermons%25202004/Whit%2520Sunday.pdf+%22happy+clappies%22&hl=en

You'll see it several times there. :)

Gaer

Philippa

Britain - English
    gaer said:
    Yet another slang term. This was said by one student in Scotland to another who had just joined the "Happy Clappies". (He just become a Christian, and I think the term is something like our "Holy Rollers". Has anyone seen or heard this?
    Gaer
    Hi Gary/gaer
    I've heard it here quite a bit refering not to people, but Christian songs or churches as in:
    a happy clappy song (a cheerful, jolly sort of one with a nice tune!!)
    a happy clappy church (lots of folks clapping and waving their arms about while they're singing!!)
    I'm a Christian and I use this phrase sometimes in both the above senses, but I would think of it as a mild insult if someone said to me that I was 'one of the happy clappies'. (Perhaps this is linked to the fact that my church is only a bit 'happy clappy'?!!).
    Hope this helps or is of interest to you!
    Saluditos
    Philippa :)

gaer

US-English
    Philippa said:
    Hi Gary/gaer
    I've heard it here quite a bit refering not to people, but Christian songs or churches as in:
    a happy clappy song (a cheerful, jolly sort of one with a nice tune!!)
    a happy clappy church (lots of folks clapping and waving their arms about while they're singing!!)
    I'm a Christian and I use this phrase sometimes in both the above senses, but I would think of it as a mild insult if someone said to me that I was 'one of the happy clappies'. (Perhaps this is linked to the fact that my church is only a bit 'happy clappy'?!!).
    Hope this helps or is of interest to you!
    Saluditos
    I HEARD "happy clappies" in a book. I was listening to a book-recording. I laughed becuase the reader has a light Scottish accent when he reads the narration, but when he does the characters, he "makes the accent thicker". It was the sound of the words that made me laugh. :)

As for the context, it is about four young students, and the person who is referred to, someone who formeraly took drugs and lead a life of "pleasure" has suddenly converted to Christianity. So the term is used as a mild insult, but you have to consider who is SAYING this in the book. :)

Gaer

mjscott

American English
    Philippa-

There needs to be a scale for the happiness/clappiness of a church. Lots of non-Christian people think that all Christians are happy-clappies, radicals, (or that the left brain has left on a search for the right brain--because they are no longer found in their right minds).

If someone pegged me as a happy-clappy, I would have to consider the context--and if it was said in negativity, just realize that though available for all, not all avail themselves to the possibility of different dimensions of enlightenment!

What I have realized among the happy-clappies is that the happier, the clappier, and that the happiest are the clappiest--with each degree of happy-clappy believing that the happier-clappier than they are a bit too radical for their tastes.

....just giving some an enlightenment into an aspect of Christian culture--as it is a culture that is some times left out or eschewed from the mix in recent times (in some sort-of act of compensation?).

gaer

US-English
    mjscott said:
    What I have realized among the happy-clappies is that the happier, the clappier, and that the happiest are the clappiest--with each degree of happy-clappy believing that the happier-clappier than they are a bit too radical for their tastes.
    That "happiest are the clappiest"? That was WONDERFUL!

Just to clarify, IF I had any negative things to say about any religion or any kind of religious belief, I certainly would never express it here. I've known some Christians who to me seemed like complete morons and unbelievably bigotted. I've also met some who were among the finest human beings I've ever known.

So I did not open this discussion because I had any agenda. I was just curious about the expression. :)

Gaer

te gato

Alberta--TGE (te gato English)
    gaer said:
    That "happiest are the clappiest"? That was WONDERFUL!

Just to clarify, IF I had any negative things to say about any religion or any kind of religious belief, I certainly would never express it here. I've known some Christians who to me seemed like complete morons and unbelievably bigotted. I've also met some who were among the finest human beings I've ever known.

So I did not open this discussion because I had any agenda. I was just curious about the expression. :)

Gaer
    Hi gaer;
    I just wanted to say that I am a Catholic...and have never heard "Happy Clappies" before...
    Just for your info...
    te gato;)

gaer

US-English
    te gato said:
    Hi gaer;
    I just wanted to say that I am a Catholic...and have never heard "Happy Clappies" before...
    Just for your info...
    te gato;)
    It was a first for me too, so I was shocked when I Googled it and found many occurrences!

Gaer

Philippa

Britain - English
    gaer said:
    So the term is used as a mild insult
    gaer said:

Gaer,
    Just to clarify ;) ....
    I never imagined you'd asked the question to be negative at all, so don't worry!! It's something mild and jokey really and well worth asking about in a language forum!!
    Take care

mjscott

American English
    Gaer-
    Also just to enlighten....
    I had never heard of the "happy clappies" before either! As the church I attend claps at times during some of the upbeat songs, I guess I would be a happy clappy! My statement about some people's beliefs about Christians was not directed at you--but a general statement of observation about the rest of the world in regards to Christianity according to my experience. The statement about Christians judging themselves is a general statement of observation I have experienced in the realm of Christianity. The term, "happy clappy" made me giggle, quite frankly, and if I could use it to make other people giggle, maybe I could sneak in a message of how silly it is for any of us--nonChristian or Christian to be judging others. The last thing I wanted you to think was that by my post I was judging you!
    Cheers!

te gato

Alberta--TGE (te gato English)
    I agree with all that has been said...

I have never heard of it either...I had to laugh as well..for the image that came to my mind was..the type of church that has the snakes..and to prove you are devout you have to dance around with poisonous snakes :eek:
    AHMMM..not my kind of church...

te gato;)
    P.S. no harm or insult
    was intended..

gaer

US-English
    mjscott said:
    Gaer-
    Also just to enlighten....
    I had never heard of the "happy clappies" before either! As the church I attend claps at times during some of the upbeat songs, I guess I would be a happy clappy! My statement about some people's beliefs about Christians was not directed at you--but a general statement of observation about the rest of the world in regards to Christianity according to my experience. The statement about Christians judging themselves is a general statement of observation I have experienced in the realm of Christianity. The term, "happy clappy" made me giggle, quite frankly, and if I could use it to make other people giggle, maybe I could sneak in a message of how silly it is for any of us--nonChristian or Christian to be judging others. The last thing I wanted you to think was that by my post I was judging you!
    Cheers!
    I was not a bit worried, really! But it never hurts to take a couple extra minutes to make sure we didn't say something that might be offensive. :)

Gaer