happy end -ing?

nurdug51

Germany,German
Would you say that a movie has a happy end or happy ending?

Is there any difference in the use of these expressions and what about the use of end and ending in general?

• rainbow_swirl

England, English
    Yes, happy ending is the one you want.

As regards their general use:

end is a verb and a noun - to end/ an end
    ending is a noun - an ending

We seem to use ending with an adjective more - so I've reached the end of the book BUT its ending was very good.

An end can also be a goal - e.g. I did my homework with the end of improving my english. Ending cannot be used here.

Most of the time end is correct except in the context of describing a film/story with an adjective.

One exception would be that we say someone came to a nasty end meaning they had an unpleasant death which obviously involves an adj combination.

I'm afraid these are just examples I can think of - I've never heard of there being definative rules. Wait for someone else.

nurdug51

Germany,German
    Yes, happy ending is the one you want.

As regards their general use:

end is a verb and a noun - to end/ an end
    ending is a noun - an ending

We seem to use ending with an adjective more - so I've reached the end of the book BUT its ending was very good.

An end can also be a goal - e.g. I did my homework with the end of improving my english. Ending cannot be used here.

Most of the time end is correct except in the context of describing a film/story with an adjective.

One exception would be that we say someone came to a nasty end meaning they had an unpleasant death which obviously involves an adj combination.

I'm afraid these are just examples I can think of - I've never heard of there being definative rules. Wait for someone else.
    Thank you very much. These are just the examples which help me a lot.

< Previous | Next >