Happy hump day

< Previous | Next >

Ludelamar

dutch
Good morning, someone asks me to translate this little phrase, can You pls help me out. This phrase is the title of a RFQ message for electronic components. I have seen in a dictionary that the term "hump" it is a little, how will I say this, ...bizar.

thank You in advance for Your help.

kind regards

Ludelamar :)

• panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Hello Ludelamar - welcome to WordReference :)
    Good morning, someone asks me to translate this little phrase, can You you pls please help me out. This phrase is the title of a RFQ message for electronic components. I have seen in a dictionary that the term "hump" it is a little, how will I say this, ...bizarre.

thank You Thank you in advance for Your your help.

kind Kind regards

Ludelamar :)
    This expression seems to be used a great deal based on what Google reports. I didn't follow the links.
    I don't know what "Happy hump day" means in this very general context - or indeed in any context :)

Humping is a slang term for sexual intercourse, which offers scope for endless mirth when hump is used with its less colourful meanings.

Thomas Tompion

English - England
    In AE, on which I am no expert, it seems that a 'hump day' is often a Wednesday, because it's the day in which you get over the hump in the week.

An American English idiom for Wednesday is "hump day" a reference to making it through to the middle of the work week as getting "over the hump."

Ludelamar

dutch
    In Holland we say "the week has been cut in two" :) I think this can be the explanation.

Kind regards

Ludelamar

Arrius

English, UK
    I believe I have heard an American say "We're over the hump" when Wednesday has, more or less, passed. Not to be confused with "over the hill" which means "elderly".

Ludelamar

dutch
    Hello Ludelamar - welcome to WordReference :)This expression seems to be used a great deal based on what Google reports. I didn't follow the links.
    I don't know what "Happy hump day" means in this very general context - or indeed in any context :)

Humping is a slang term for sexual intercourse, which offers scope for endless mirth when hump is used with its less colourful meanings.
    Hello Panjandrum

Thank you for your corrections, and the answer. I'm afraid my english is a little far away.
    :)

This title "Happy Hump day", preceeds a message in wich the man asks if he can search any eletronic components for us. So I think that in the middle of the week he just hasn't enough to do. Or he is very glad the week is fallen in two.:)

Kind regards

Ludelamar

ExpatCat

Spanish, Cursive (bilingual)
    Hello,

If Hump Day is Wednesday, can I refer to Tuesday as "Hump Day's Eve"?
    (in a jocular way, of course)
    Or should it be "Hump Day Eve" (without the 's)?

Best,
    Jose.

< Previous | Next >