Hard to satisfy

< Previous | Next >

Heba

Egypt, Arabic
Hello,
There is an adjective which means ''hard to satisfy'', I knew it once, but now I do not remember it at all.
Would you please help me?
Thank you

• Isotta

English, Hodgepodge
    In terms of a person it could be a number of things, such as "uncompromising," "difficult," "demanding," "finicky," "exacting," "fastidious..."

Strictly speaking, "insatiable" would be perfect, but you don't use it in direct reference to a person--one might have an insatiable hunger for knowledge, but one is not insatiable.

Context would be nice.

E.

Isotta

English, Hodgepodge
    panjandrum said:
    A great deal depends on what you mean by hard to satisfy.
    For some meanings, it would be entirely appropriate to describe a person as insatiable.
    You would really say, "She is insatiable," just like that? That doesn't sound right to me, unless you're referring to some specific trait. I'd sooner say, "She is insatiable in her quest for medals."

R.

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Charles Costante said:
    Insatiable when it comes to food or sex is generally used by itself.
    ... and the context makes if very clear exactly what is meant.

In any group of men, to say of any woman - even out of context - "She is insatiable," would imply sexually:)

But Isotta is correct, unless this is what is intended, you would need to explain:
    She has an insatiable appetite for chocolate...
    She has an insatiable hunger for knowledge...
    He has an insatiable desire to succeed ...
    When it comes to honey-roasted cashew nuts, he is insatiable.

Isotta

English, Hodgepodge
    panjandrum said:
    ... and the context makes if very clear exactly what is meant.

In any group of men, to say of any woman - even out of context - "She is insatiable," would imply sexually:)
    That, too, had crossed my mind, which was confirmed by a geugle search, but I did not know how common the usage was as such and did not want to lead anyone down a garden path...

Z.

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Isotta said:
    That, too, had crossed my mind, which was confirmed by a geugle search, but I did not know how common the usage was as such and did not want to lead anyone down a garden path...
    Z.
    Oh, indeed not - very wise of you. Were you to walk down the garden path in front of some of us, you could well be giving completely the wrong impression;)

elroy

Imperfect Mod
    US English, Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    I was once told (by a non-native speaker of English) that I was "insatiable" because I had been talking about languages for a while. At the time, the usage did not strike me as odd. Your comments have led me to think again.

Kelly B

USA English
    Well, sadly, when used with respect to men it doesn't raise eyebrows to the same degree.
    Eyebrows, I said.

When carefully matched with nouns like curiosity, insatiable is an excellent choice, I think.

elroy

Imperfect Mod
    US English, Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    Kelly B said:
    When carefully matched with nouns like curiosity, insatiable is an excellent choice, I think.
    I've been told that "insatiable curiosity" a hackneyed phrase. Glad to find someone who agrees that it's expressive and precise.

Rich696

England, English
    Kelly B said:
    Well, sadly, when used with respect to men it doesn't raise eyebrows to the same degree.
    Eyebrows, I said.

Definitely a man thing! I must say that if a male friend told me that a female he knew was insatiable, I would immediately consider him to mean sexually. However, it depends on the context. If, for example, someone has been jabbering on about something, as you said you had been elroy, then "you're insatiable" would be interpreted within the context of the conversation. It is when there is no context that it has come to understood as impossible or very difficult to fully sexually satisfy.

< Previous | Next >