hardened into a purpose than <which> I have never entertained a more determined purpose.

park sang joon

Korean
The narrator recalls his childhood.
He was forced to work for his own living for Mr. Murdstone's friend Mr. Quinion at London by his stepfather Mr. Murdstone.
He lodges at a house, the master of which Mr. Micawber is so very poor, and goes to his work Murdstone and Grinby's.
Now, Mr.Micawber's family has moved to Plymouth for Mr. Micawber's bankruptcy.

But with no intention of passing many more weary days there. No. I had resolved t run awayㅡto go, by some means of other, down into the country, to the only relation I had in the world, and tell my story to my aunt, Miss Betsey.
I have already observed that I don't know how this desperate idea came into my brain. But, once there, it remained there, and hardened into a purpose than which I have never entertained a more determined purpose in my life.
[David Copperfield by Charles Dickens]
I can't figure out the structure of the underlined clause unless "which" is a non-restrictive relative pronoun.
So I was wondering if a comma is omitted before "than."
Thank you in advance for your help.

• eedeeo

English - United States
    You can paraphrase and turn the sentence around and it makes more sense. "I have never entertained a more determined purpose in my life than that which remained there ..." So yes, it is a relative pronoun. This is a kind of tortuous sentence structure and could have been clearer. But who am I to question Dickens? :)

park sang joon

Korean
    Thank you, eedeeo, for another so very kind answer from you. :)
    Then I'd like to know if you think "that" is implied before "which," not "which" is a non-restrictive relative pronoun.

park sang joon

Korean
    Thank you, bennymix, for another so very kind answer from you. :)
    Then I was wondering if you think a comma is omitted before "than."

< Previous | Next >