hardware latch

< Previous | Next >

gainni21

Italian
Hello,

What is the best verb to use in order to describe the action of closing/opening an hardware toggle latch?
Would "to open/close" suit? What about to lock/unlock?

• ewie

English English
    Hullo Gainni. [Gainni?]
    Have you got a picture of the article in question, preferably one that shows it open and closed?

Andygc

British English
    I'd use open and close. But the latch has a "geometric lock" when in the closed position.

ewie

English English
    :):thumbsup: I'd use open >< close, or snap open >< snap closed, or even fasten >< unfasten. I can't imagine there's a 'standard' term for it.

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    I have some of those on an extending table. I "fasten" or "undo/unfasten" this type of latch or clip.

GreenWhiteBlue

USA - English
    I would use "open/close" for the latch itself (with "undo" a synonym for "open", and "secure" a synonym for close), and possibly "unlatch/latch" for the object the latch secures:
    John shut the lid of the box and closed the latch.
    You need to unlatch the lid before you can open the box.

Andygc

British English
    Following on from velisarius and GreenWhiteBlue, the wider context affects the choice - if you are talking specifically about the latch itself then I would use "open" and "close". If you are talking about the effect of using the latch on the thing it is attached to, then the choice of verb may vary with the object - a folding table, a box lid, a cupboard ... I could certainly "unlatch the lid" but the object for the verb is the lid, not the latch. Perhaps you could let us know if you want the verb to apply directly to the latch - "He xxxxed the latch" - or want it to cover the wider context of the object secured by the latch.

RedwoodGrove

English, USA
    In any case, "latch" also functions as a verb. "Open" and "close" sound natural.

Apparently "toggle latch" is an industry name for the type of latch you have referenced. I've never heard it before. In my experience, "toggle" is a type of electrical switch.

cross-posted

gainni21

Italian
    In any case, "latch" also functions as a verb. "Open" and "close" sound natural.

Apparently "toggle latch" is an industry name for the type of latch you have referenced. I've never heard it before. In my experience, "toggle" is a type of electrical switch.

cross-posted
    Thanks everybody!
    I think "toggle" is referred to the quick mechanism to fasten/unfasten the latch.

Andygc

British English
    Yes, "toggle" refers to the lever that operates the latch, or the lever that operates an electrical switch. There's many different types of latch.

< Previous | Next >