haricots blancs, coco, venus

Avignonaddict

English - British
Hello,

I have a text about children planting seeds - they seem to particularly like beans and I have this list: "des haricots blancs Bingo, des haricots coco, des haricots venus,
des haricots mangetout et des capucines"

I know we say 'mangetout' and that capucines are 'nasturtiums' (edible, but not beans?), but how can I distinguish the others? I really am drowning in this - I'd really appreciate some help. (Yesterday I translated cocos plats as 'flat beans', and I think haricots blancs might be 'butter beans' but can't find a variety 'Bingo'; 'venus' doesn't appear to exist as a variety, but I can't see that it means 'coming from' as there's nothing for them to 'come from')

Thank you :confused::confused::confused:

• ketchupi

Français
    Je ne savais même pas que ces variétés existaient,
    Désolé je ne suis d'aucune aide.

Courrage.

Keith Bradford

English (Midlands UK)
    Cocos are a speciality (AOC) of the Paimpol region of Brittany. They are white and lumpy.
    Cocos plats are green and flat and are pretty well identical to runner beans.
    Haricots blancs are indeed 'butter beans'
    I see from your other thread that someone suggested 'snow peas' for 'cocos plats'. This is wrong. Snow peas is the US term for mangetout peas.

Last edited:

KirstyWeston

UK English
    Is anyone able to confirm or correct (definitively) my translations of the following. I'm making educated guesses in most cases but it's important that I get these right … in British English.

haricots cocos blancs – cannellini beans
    haricots cocos rouges – borlotti beans
    haricots cocos plats – runner beans
    haricots verts – French beans

Thanks in anticipation!

Keith Bradford

English (Midlands UK)
    Like I said, I believe that cocos is an AOC. So you shouldn't change it. (You wouldn't translate "Champagne" as "fizzy white", I guess?) But you might want to check that out - I'm going from a memory of our local paper about ten years ago.

On the other hand, your suggestions may work as near-equivalents or glosses.

KirstyWeston

UK English
    It's for a recipe book and the chef's in Provence, so I doubt they're anything that specific/regional (unless they were Provençal). I've seen 'haricots cocos de Paimpol' so think they must be a particular type. In addition, in the recipe method, the first two also have to be shelled. Anyone else like to comment?

DrD

England English
    I have to say that haricots coco anything is new to me, but, as a keen consumer of pulses, haricots blancs are haricot beans (navy beans, I believe, in the US), not, as the WR dictionary suggests, butterbeans, which are larger and flatter, nor cannellini beans, which are haricots lingots. Haricots rouges are kidney beans. I don't know whether the coco changes anything though...

I'd agree with the suggestion of runner bean for haricot coco plat, but I don't really know. French beans or green beans for haricots verts.

petit1

français - France
    Haricots lingots (not bingo) and haricots "coco" are fresh beans . The "lingot" seed is bigger than the coco( perhaps seed is not the correct term).
    As for the nasturtiums, they are sown between the lines of beans to protect them from the aphids.

Last edited:

Uncle Bob

British English
    When in France (Isle de France) I insisted on growing runner beans (Scarlet Emperor to be precise) and when neighbours asked what they were I said "haricots coco" and they went away satisfied.

PS Can't get the buggers to set any beans in Hungary!

Kelly B

USA English
    "haricots coco" is a variety with reddish "freckles" but I don't know if there is a specific name for this variety in English
    These ones (borlotti beans/haricots cocos rouges according to KirstyWeston's post above) are also called cranberry beans in English.

Hildy1

English - US and Canada
    It's a complicated question, since the same common name can refer to different plants in different places. For example, when I was growing up in the Southern U.S., "butterbeans" were very small, tender green beans - which as I later was told, were young lima beans. Other people use the word to refer to a different kind of beans, as does DrD above (unless the large flat beans in question are just a more mature version of the same bean).

This page of images of "haricots mangetout" shows what I would call snow peas, not beans.
    "haricots mange-tout" - Google Search

Both snow peas and sugar snap peas are mangetout peas (i.e. the pods are meant to be eaten when the peas are young and tender).
    Snap peas (Pisum sativum var. macrocarpon), also known as sugar snap peas, are a cultivar group of edible-podded peas that differ from snow peas in that their pods are round as opposed to flat. The name mangetout (French for "eat all") can apply both to snap peas and snow peas.
    Snap pea - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There do seem to be Bingo beans, but I'm not sure whether I have ever seen them.
    Dried beans | Farm Folly
    pole beans | Big Stone Bounty
    Dry Shelling Beans - Bingo Bean

< Previous | Next >