Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

Beobachter

English, USA
There are already threads regarding possible translations of this just-announced title in three other forums (General Vocabulary/Vocabulario General, French-English, and Italian-English). There is worldwide interest in possible translations into other languages as well, and so I have put a thread here in case anyone would like to post suggested translations.

• jester.

Germany -> German
    Wow, didn't even know that there was already a title for the new HP. I must say that I can hardly weit to read the last book. :)

So, let's see...

The title seems a bit weird to me. I cannot really imagine what a "deathly hallow" is supposed to be. Unfortunately I can't find a dictionary that includes "hallow" as a noun. Neither WR nor MW includes it. They only include a verb "hallow" which means something like venerate, bless, sanctify.

Is "hallow" as a noun supposed to mean "saint"? If so, I could provide you with a literal German translation, although, as I have already said, the title seems a bit strange to me. :confused:

Beobachter

English, USA
    Here are some excerpts from the Oxford English Dictionary definitions of "hallow":

[noun, 1]
    1. A holy personage, a SAINT. (Little used after 1500...)
    2. In pl. applied to the shrines or relics of saints; the gods of the heathen or their shrines.

[verb, 1]
    1. trans. To make holy; to sanctify, purify.
    2. To consecrate, set apart (a person or thing) as sacred to God; to dedicate to some sacred or religious use or office; to bless a thing so that it may be under the particular protection of a deity, or possess divine virtue. arch.

jester.

Germany -> German
    Ok, then my proposal is:

Harry Potter und die todbringenden Heiligen

I think it is very likely that the real German title will be very similar to this. All the other titles were translated quite literally.

PianoMan

United States, English
    I could be wrong, but I've heard "hallows" used as a small forest or woods, by a neighborhood. Like the famous literary town Sleepy Hallow. That's what I think J.K. Rowling's referring to, a location.

jester.

Germany -> German
    I could be wrong, but I've heard "hallows" used as a small forest or woods, by a neighborhood. Like the famous literary town Sleepy Hallow. That's what I think J.K. Rowling's referring to, a location.
    But that is not what the definition says.

The literary town is called Sleepy Hollow, as far as I know. So maybe you heard that and not hallow. :)

Beobachter

English, USA
    For Dutch, I'd say Harry Potter en de dodelijk heiligen.

The Dutch publisher is using as a working title Harry Potter en het Fatale Heiligdom. I assume that "Heiligdom" is the cognate of the German "Heiligtum," but I don't understand why the singular form is being used.

Would "doodse Heiligdom" work?

Beobachter

English, USA
    My attempt in Portuguese:

Harry Potter e os Santos Mortais/Assassinos (but I'm not sure)
    At the HP fan sites you can find:

Harry Potter e as Relíquias Mortais

although it was also suggested that "mortíferos" is preferable to "mortais."

elroy

Imperfect Mod
    US English, Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    My proposed translation into Arabic: هاري بوتر والقديسون القاتلون

Thomas1

polszczyzna warszawska
    In Polish I'd go for:
    Harry Potter i Śmiertelni Święci

This is a literal translation from English.

Tom

Beobachter

English, USA
    In Polish I'd go for:
    Harry Potter i Śmiertelni Święci

This is a literal translation from English.

Tom
    Another proposal on the fan sites was Harry Potter i Śmiertelni Relikwie
    Harry Potter i Śmiertelne Relikwie

(corrected as per Post #22)

Etcetera

Russian, Russia (St Petersburg)
    I didn't think how to translate the title myself (and anyway, I'm not going to read the book in Russian, only in English! I've had enough of those awful "translations"!), but the most popular proposal on fan sites is Гарри Поттер и смертельные реликвии.
    Almost the same as in Polish.:)

Thomas1

polszczyzna warszawska
    Another proposal on the fan sites was Harry Potter i Śmiertelne Relikwie
    With one correction. ;)
    Yes, this is another possibility. It renders the second meaning you gave in your post, I don't know which one would be better as this can be deduced from the book's content. It is also possible that we (as well as other countries) will have completely different title. :)

Tom

Beobachter

English, USA
    Ok, then my proposal is:

Harry Potter und die todbringenden Heiligen
    In English "deathly" can mean "fatal," but also "of, relating to, or suggestive of death." Would "todbringend" be appropriate for the second definition? If not, could one construct a combined form with "Toten-" and "Heiligtum"?

Kael

U.S.
    I'm not quite sure how to transalate 'Deathly Hallows' into Latin, but my try is:

Harri potter et Mortuferus Sanctos

Which is someting like, "Harry Potter and the Fatal/Deadly Hallows."

Note: Sanctos comes from the verb [sancio, sancire, sanxi, sanctum,] meaning to concecrate, hallow, ratify, decree.

jester.

Germany -> German
    In English "deathly" can mean "fatal," but also "of, relating to, or suggestive of death." Would "todbringend" be appropriate for the second definition? If not, could one construct a combined form with "Toten-" and "Heiligtum"?
    I think it would be possible to say "Harry Potter und das Heiligutm des Todes" although I have the feeling that this is already a very free translation.

Wyatt_BCN

Spanish & Catalan - SPAIN
    In Spanish it could be: Harry Potter y las reliquias/santos mortales.
    Catalan: Harry Potter i les relíquies/sants mortals.
    Galician: Harry Potter e as/os reliquias/santos mortais. ;)

Where do you read this title though? :S

jun

South Korea
    Korean: 해리 포터와 죽음의 성도

해리: Harry
    포터: Potter
    와: and
    죽음의: deathly
    성도: hallows

deine

Lithuania - lithuanian
    Lithuanian:

"Haris Poteris ir pražūtingos relikvijos"

pražūtingos relikvijos means (more or less) ruinous reliquiae

noncasper

Chino - China - Hong Kong
    In Vietnamese:
    Harry Potter và những thánh tích (chết chóc/đoạt mệnh)

Nizo

In the English version of Wikipedia, there's an interesting note about the difficulty of translating this title, since author J.K. Rowling has declined to explain the meaning prior to the release of the book. Based on what I've read, I'd translate the title into Esperanto as Hari Poter kaj la Mortigaj Relikvoj.

< Previous | Next >