Harry Potter: McGonagall's accent

< Previous | Next >

Josephine7

Russian
I'm sure there are very few people who never watched films about Harry Potter.
Can anyone explain where McGonagall's accent comes from?

• natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    I'm no expert on Scottish accents, but I thought it sounded like a 'posh' lowland accent - perhaps Edinburgh. Or maybe I am associating her with Miss Jean Brodie. :eek:

natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    Macpherson, McKenzie, McDonald, McEnroe are all Scottish surnames, yes. But there's no guarantee that anyone with a Scottish surnames speaks with a Scottish accent.

Tegs

Mód ar líne
    English (Ireland)
    Thanks.
    Is it somehow connected with the "Mc" in her surname?
    It could very well be, although Mc is also frequently found in Irish names. Mc comes from the Irish and Scottish Gaidhlig "mac" meaning "son of", so it appears in a lot of surnames in these isles.

Tegs

Mód ar líne
    English (Ireland)
    Macpherson, McKenzie, McDonald, McEnroe are all Scottish surnames, yes. But there's no guarantee that anyone with a Scottish surnames speaks with a Scottish accent.
    Yes, by now, there would be plenty of American people with these surnames too :)

Egmont

English - U.S.
    Yes, by now, there would be plenty of American people with these surnames too :)
    Indeed. Thanks to intermarriage, slave ownership, and Anglicization of names that sounded too "foreign" to immigration officials or to their holders, many Yanks with these surnames have little or no ancestry in either of those places.

< Previous | Next >