harvest or to harvest

< Previous | Next >

snooprun

Chinese
Hi there,

What is the use of the infinitive here---'Our Ocean Planet has cultivated splendid civilisations, and has beheld prosperities and adversities, glories and tragedies. Its seas are ours to harvest. And tapping the treasures that lie beneath the blue depths is essential to many national strategic pursuits.'
Please better support your answers with several example sentences.

Thanks

Best

• snooprun

Chinese
    It means something like "the seas are available for us for harvesting, we can freely harvest the seas."
    Thanks Tazzler. But my question is the use of the infinitive. Would you please show me more example sentences about such use. Thanks!

exgerman

NYC
    English but my first language was German
    You are free to ask this question, but we don't have to answer.:)

It's quite common with win or lose: the game is ours to win (we will win unless we do something foolish).

Tazzler

American English
    In lieu of providing lists, I will try to explain the structure.

Something is someone's to do-> that something is available to that person, that person can freely do that something.

In "that book is yours to read," I would understand that "you" can read the book whenever you want to.

I don't think this is a common structure though.

snooprun

Chinese
    In lieu of providing lists, I will try to explain the structure.

Something is someone's to do-> that something is available to that person, that person can freely do that something.

In "that book is yours to read," I would understand that "you" can read the book whenever you want to.

I don't think this is a common structure though.
    Problem solved! Thank you all.

< Previous | Next >