harvest the admiration/appreciation

苏子长安

Chinese-China
I want to express the meaning like "get appreciation", then "harvest the admiration" came into my mind, but I didn't find any examples of it on google. ಠ_ಠ

• DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    English UK Southern Standard English
    No: sorry - that sounds very odd. It might work in a literary or poetic context, but in normal use we'd say something like "... and gain the admiration of [other] players."

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    Afet After "I dream of..." you need a noun phrase. You may use gerund phrases: I dream of making my own game and gaining the admiration..."

Last edited:

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    When people "admire" us, we are doing nothing; the admirers are doing the action. "Harvest, draw, get, attract" are all actions, so they don't fit well with "admiration".

Usually we talk about doing things people will admire, or doing things to "gain" their admiration. We commonly say "get" a person's attention, or "attract" people's attention.

"Harvest" is even more active than "get": it means to take something (usually by cutting plants) and keep it. The idea of "harvesting" something from people is very invasive: the only common phrase I know of is "harvesting organs", which means killing people to remove and sell their organs. Yuck!

< Previous | Next >