. . . has a long way to go

English
I'm talking about a town, in terms of the good things and bad things about it. To summarise at the end, I'd like to say

'It is a town which has the basic commodities, but it still has a long way to go.'

I'm stuggling on 'long way to go' but here is my translation at the moment:

'Elle est une ville qui a les marchandises basiques, mais elle a toujours un long chemin pour y aller.'

Is this correct? Merci en avance!

• harbottle

Australia; English
    "has a long way to go" is idiomatic. It means "there are many things to improve" (of course, you know this).

Your translation is a fine literal one, but I don't believe it carries the same meaning. I trust our French native speakers will have some better ideas.

SteveBlu

French
    Il s'agit d'une ville dotée des infrastructures de base mais qui mériterait de se développer davantage.

petchorine

français
    "has a long way to go" is idiomatic. It means "there are many things to improve" (of course, you know this).
    Your translation is a fine literal one, but I don't believe it carries the same meaning. I trust our French native speakers will have some better ideas.
    there is a similar expression in french, you can use it if the subject is a person, for instance: "Bernard a encore du chemin à parcourir", but you cannot say that about a town. It would sound aukward. So I would advise to use an impersonal sentence :"Il y a du chemin à parcourir"= "there's a long way to go": "C'est une ville dotée des infrastructures de base, mais il y a encore du chemin à parcourir." It's closer to the original, more literal but would sound still a bit familiar and weak. Steveblu's version is far better because it's typically french, fair but enthusiast :"Il s'agit d'une ville dotée des infrastructures de base mais qui mériterait de se développer davantage."

English
    Ok, thank you all for your help! I will probably go for SteveBlu's suggestion then but all of your comments are very much appreciated!
    Merci beaucoup!

< Previous | Next >