Has been designed vs was designed

Aglaée & Sidonie

Français
Hello there :)

I struggle in using has not been designed vs was not designed in this context :

a friend of mine loves modern architecture while I don't. My answer to this friend should be : despite of this magnificent view I would not like to live here because this home hasn't been designed OR was not designed to live in ? No indication of time it is only a matter of tastes.

• The Newt

English - US
    Either form would be fine, but "despite of this magnificent view" is not. It's either "despite this" or "in spite of this."

With a house that was built recently "hasn't been designed" makes sense. It wouldn't make sense if you were talking about a historic building.

Aglaée & Sidonie

Français
    Yhank you @owlman5 could you explain why you'd prefer "was not designed" ?

Thank you @The Newt could you explain why "hasn't been designed" makes sense for a recent home but doesn't for an old one ? What's the slight difference ?

I well noted It's either "despite this" or "in spite of this."

owlman5

English-US
    Yhank you @owlman5 could you explain why you'd prefer "was not designed" ?
    You're welcome. Probably because I think that was sounds likely and natural in a comment about a house that was designed in the past. I assume that the house has already been built and that your friend lives in or perhaps merely admires the house and its magnificent view.

The Newt

English - US
    [...]

Thank you @The Newt could you explain why "hasn't been designed" makes sense for a recent home but doesn't for an old one ? What's the slight difference ?

[...]
    The difference is that with a living architect it makes sense to talk about his or her intentions in designing the house. With an older house that's no longer relevant.

Aglaée & Sidonie

Français
    Thanks @owlman5 yes the luxury house is 2 or 3 years old so it IS built. I will favor "was designed (or built) in a similar case..... which leads me to when should I use "has been designed" 🤪

Edit : oops @The Newt has answered (or simply answered?) my question : it's a matter of a living (perhaps a contenporary) architect.

One more time I note that English is almost as in-depth as French, and i's an understatement 😄

owlman5

English-US
    I will favor "was designed (or built) in a similar case..... which leads me to when should I use "has been designed"
    You might not need it at all. If I wanted to use it, I would be trying to express with a verb tense the idea that a design that was created in the past has present relevance. Somehow, the design affects things now.