has enabled/enables vs has proved/proves to be successful

marcbatco

Italian-Italy
Hi, I would please ask you which of the expressions in bold is more appropriate (I prefer the third option):
This (successful) decision (has enabled)/enables/(has proved to be successful in that)/(is proving to be successful in that) the company to benefit/benefits from resurgent debt trading activity worldwide.

Last edited:
  • Loob

English UK
    Too many options, marcbatco - I can't work out what you're asking...:(.

marcbatco

Italian-Italy
    Too many options, marcbatco - I can't work out what you're asking...:(.
    Hi Loob, and thank you for your reply. The options are:
    This successful decision has enabled the company to benefit from resurgent debt trading activity worldwide.
    This successful decision enables the company to benefit from resurgent debt trading activity worldwide.
    This decision has proved to be successful in that the company benefits from resurgent debt trading activity worldwide.
    This decision is proving to be successful in that the company benefits from resurgent debt trading activity worldwide.

Myridon

English - US
    Decisions are not successful in themselves - "successful decision" isn't meaningful.
    If they've just decided to do it, it can hardly have been proved successful.

Last edited:

Loob

English UK
    My reaction was similar to Myridon's: I'm uncomfortable with "successful decision".

I think "This decision has enabled the company to benefit from resurgent debt trading activity worldwide." would work.

marcbatco

Italian-Italy
    Decisions are not successful in themselves - "successful decision" isn't meaningful.
    If they've just decided to do it, it can hardly have been proved successful.
    My reaction was similar to Myridon's: I'm uncomfortable with "successful decision".

I think "This decision has enabled the company to benefit from resurgent debt trading activity worldwide." would work.
    Hi Myridon and Loob, and thank you for your advice.
    To Myridon: what do you mean with If they've just decided to do it, it can hardly have been proved successful?

< Previous | Next >