has inspired an international following

luko010

Czech
Hi, please, what means following in this paragraph?

"I knew what I wanted, and it didn’t exist, so I built it.” Sarah’s yarn store, profiled further in Chapter 11, was profitable within six months and has inspired an international following."

Does it mean that she has a fans around the world, or that her store expanded to other countries? I think the first one is true, but I'm not sure...

Thank you very much :) Lukas

• defghi

American English
    The sentence only refers to her having fans around the world, it's unclear whether she has stores in other countries or not.

Biffo

English - England
    Yes, I agree with your interpretation. Does she have an internet business as well as a physical store?

luko010

Czech
    Yes, I agree with your interpretation. Does she have an internet business as well as a physical store?
    Yeah she has. It's a book about microbusinesses, so I think she hasn't other stores on her own around the world.

redgiant

Cantonese, Hong Kong
    I'm confused too. Free of context, I initially read it as "it has inspired others from all over the world to mimic the store's success" or start a business similar to it. Is it a possible interpretation?

< Previous | Next >