Has not mistaken me

< Previous | Next >

Pitcairner

Italian
Hi All,

Just the other day I read the following sentence:

"Assuming my limited knowledge of French has not mistaken me, please kindly find as requested"

I do understand the overall meaning but I never heard it before.

Which kind of syntactical construction is that ? What's a possible alternative ?

• Pitcairner

Italian
    Where did you read it and what was the context? :thumbsup:
    Hi Paul,

I read it into an example of business mail (clearly indicatating the writer as a native speaker from UK).

In his message he allows us to interpret that despite his language gap, he does understand the meaning by sending all requested information accordingly (being a mere list, i'm not going to write them down).

Do you need further info ?

entangledbank

English - South-East England
    It's wrong (even if they're a native speaker). 'Misled' would fit there. Or they could be mistaken in their knowledge - but we don't say their knowledge has mistaken them.

kentix

English - U.S.
    It really doesn't sound like a native business English speaker from the US and I assume from the UK, either. It's far too flowery. The words in green seem extremely unlikely. It sounds like words in English expressing the social style and ideas of another culture.

"Assuming my limited knowledge of French has not mistaken me, please kindly find as requested"

A more informal version of "has not misled me" is:

Assuming my limited knowledge of French has not led me astray...

It would not be suitable in every context.

The full quote sounds very much like a non-native speaker of, at the minimum, US or UK English. It has basic English mistakes and shows the flowery style we recognize as a hallmark of a different cultural background.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >