has or have

LQZ

Mandarin
It is estimated that over one third population have no chance to be covered by health care .

Guys, the above is my translation practice, I am confused about whether have should be used here or has? Thanks.

LQZ

• xqby

English (U.S.)
    Please make sure that you have correctly copied your practice problem. The sentence is poorly constructed for reasons unrelated to "have."

Also, I'd like to know what you think about the question.

LQZ

Mandarin
    Please make sure that you have correctly copied your practice problem. The sentence is poorly constructed for reasons unrelated to "have."

Also, I'd like to know what you think about the question.
    Thank you, xqby, I will reorganize my words later. Now I am trying to show you what the Chinese version exactly says.

There is (or are, I am not srue) over a third population who can't be covered by health care, which is estimated.

:D;)Dose it sound clear ? Thank you for your help.

xqby

English (U.S.)
    Oh, you’re translating something from Chinese? I thought you were copying an English sentence from your workbook, thus my confusion. I’m sorry.

My problem was that “one third population” by itself is nonsensical. You would need to say “one third of the population.”

In answer to the main thrust of your question, “one third” functions as a single unit; it doesn't matter if it encompasses three hundred million people. For example: one third of the population has no healthcare, while the remaining two thirds have access to some form of it.

Last edited:

LQZ

Mandarin
    Thank you for your help, xqby, it must be my fault not to express well.

Now I reword it like it, and could you tell me whether it sounds natural to native's ears?

It is estimated that there is over a third of the population who has no chance to be covered by the health care.

xqby

English (U.S.)
    I preferred your original idea--there were fewer words, which is always a plus.
    It is estimated that over one third of the population has no chance to be covered by health care.

< Previous | Next >