has taken me cycling at Easter time

Happyweekend

Korean
Hello~

I once got an e-mail from my Japanese friend. And I'm having trouble understand what he means.
He is still staying with his host family in America. He says "My host family has taken me cycling and I was able to experience American culture at Easter time".

This sentence seems quite odd to me. He sent this to me after Easter break, but is it correct to use "at Easter time" here? I think it's fine because there's an 'and' here, which separates the "has taken me". Do you think it could mean his host family took him cycling during Easter?

Thank you!

Last edited:
  • DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    English UK Southern Standard English
    Yes, the "at Easter time" is fine. I would suspect from its position at the end of the sentence that it refers to the experience of American culture, and that the cycling took place over the period of the stay as a whole.

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    I can't tell whether the cycling trip took place at Easter or at some other time. If you substitute "during Easter time" it's still not clear, because the use of tenses is shaky. Since both points are mentioned in one sentence, it points to the cycling trip having taken place at Easter, but who knows?

Happyweekend

Korean
    Hi!

I have the same thought too. Do you agree that the cycling could have taken place after Easter break?
    I guess I will have to ask him if I want to find out.

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    Yes, "has taken me cycling" seems to indicate that he's still on that cycling trip, but it's probably just a wrong use of the present perfect.

George French

English - UK
    Adding on time at the end of the sentence just confuses what you mean.

GF..

Mind you "at Easter (time)" is so non-specific that it is potentially not very useful.. Without more context it is :thumbsdown:

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >