Has the president / Does the president have ....?

< Previous | Next >

tittiugo

Italian-Italy
This discussion has been split off from: official website
Cagey, moderator.

You need to use "official" website if there are others that are unofficial. A pop star or film actress may have unoffcial websites devoted to them, set up by a fan club. Not all these fans offer the courtesy of getting "official" approval from their idol.

Does the President of the Islamic Republic of Iran have a maverick fan club? Or perhaps, has some enemy state set up a bogus website pretending to be by him?

If not, you can safely omit the word official.

Hi Kaith, pardon my ignorance but a little doubt arose reading your post...why you wrote "Does the President of the Islamic Republic of Iran have a maverick fan club?"?...when at school they teach us questions with auxiliary verbs do not use TO DO, instead? :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
  • RM1(SS)

English - US (Midwest)
    why did you wrote write "Does the President of the Islamic Republic of Iran have a maverick fan club?"?...when at school they teach us questions with auxiliary verbs do not use TO DO, instead? :confused:
    I'm not certain what it is that you are saying they teach you, but there is nothing ungrammatical or incorrect about Keith's question.

tittiugo

Italian-Italy
    I'm not certain what it is that you are saying they teach you, but there is nothing ungrammatical or incorrect about Keith's question.
    Hi RM1,

Surly Keith wrote correctly...my enquiry was only about one doubt caused by my lack in English Language...I was asking to some mother-tongues to please explain me why Keith wrote "Does the President...have a fun club?" instead of "Have the President...a fun club?" :)

that's all...

RM1(SS)

English - US (Midwest)
    Because the use of the auxiliary verb is correct grammar, as in Keith's question and in my correction to yours (post 4).

tittiugo

Italian-Italy
    I knew that to express an answer the auxiliary verbs do not want TO DO...they just trade places with subject:

"Has the President of the Islamic Republic of Iran a maverick fan club?"

not

"Does the President of the Islamic Republic of Iran have a maverick fan club?"

PS: anyway, there's much to learn yet!!!:)

RM1(SS)

English - US (Midwest)
    I knew that to express an answer the auxiliary verbs do not want TO DO...they just trade places with subject:

"Has the President of the Islamic Republic of Iran a maverick fan club?" :cross:
    (An old-fashioned way of forming questions, no longer in common usage.)

not

"Does the President of the Islamic Republic of Iran have a maverick fan club?" :tick:

< Previous | Next >