has you itching

< Previous | Next >

forgoodorill

Chinese
Hi, everyone!
I saw a book review recently, and I don't understand it:

“If Hidden Figures has you itching to learn more about the women who worked in the space program, pick up Nathalia Holt’s lively, immensely readable history, Rise of the Rocket Girls.” —Entertainment Weekly

What's the form of 'has you' here, and how could I use this?

Thanks in advance!
Source: Rise of the Rocket Girls
It's the last paragraph in this description.

• Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    The meaning here is that it (the book? film? "Hidden Figures") makes you itch to learn more, or puts you or has you in the position of itching to learn more.

If someone told you a joke that was so funny you couldn't stop laughing, you could say that the joke had you in stitches.

Last edited by a moderator:

forgoodorill

Chinese
    The meaning here is that it (the book? film? "Hidden Figures") makes you itch to learn more, or puts you or has you in the position of itching to learn more.

If someone told you a joke that was so funny you couldn't stop laughing, you could say that the joke had you in stitches.
    Thanks, so is it just a idiomatic usage? Because I think it's weird to say 'something has you'. :)

Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    It's not at all uncommon. And it's not that "something has you", but that "something has you X", where the essential ingredient X is typically a prepositional phrase (like "in stitches") or a participial phrase (like "doing something").

forgoodorill

Chinese
    It's not at all uncommon. And it's not that "something has you", but that "something has you X", where the essential ingredient X is typically a prepositional phrase (like "in stitches") or a participial phrase (like "doing something").
    Thanks, Edinburgher!

kentix

English - U.S.
    The general meaning is:

has you = puts you into a state of mind where

If Hidden Figures puts you into a state of mind where you are itching to learn...

< Previous | Next >