Has your mind been <melted/melded>

Shandol

Persian - 𐎱𐎾𐎿𐎡
Hi,
Has your mind been melted? You could have killed me, Space Ranger!
Toy Story 2 animated movie
Has your mind been melted/melded
Could the phrase be used in everyday conversation, instead of the phrases like "have you lost your marbles?"

Last edited:
  • Myridon

English - US
    The insides of the characters' heads are made of plastic which can melt. I don't think this works in everyday conversation (unless you spend a lot of time talking to Barbie and Ken ;)).
    (Meld makes no sense.)

(Meld makes no sense.)
    … unless you are a Vulcan:

mind meld.jpg

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    Could the phrase be used in everyday conversation, instead of the phrases like "have you lost your marbles?"
    No. It is not idiomatic at all. The passive form seems very awkward.
    The nearest thing you might say would be "Has your mind melted?", but even that is not idiomatic.

Myridon

English - US
    … unless you are a Vulcan:
    In order to do a mind meld, you need two minds (Spock's mind and McCoy's mind are melded). The sentence doesn't have two minds so it doesn't make much sense. Has your mind been melded? Have you ever mind melded with someone else?

kentix

English - U.S.
    We say things like "Have you lost your mind?" That might be appropriate for a non-plastic human being, depending on the context.

Shandol

Persian - 𐎱𐎾𐎿𐎡
    Thank you all.
    Has your mind been melted?
    The insides of the characters' heads are made of plastic which can melt.
    The nearest thing you might say would be "Has your mind melted?"
    There is still something that I can't understand. Why "mind"? "brain" is the physical organ that I assume here should be addressed! Don't you think that way?

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    Don't you think that way?
    No.

Your mind differs from your brain. The brain has a physical presence - your mind is your intelligence, thinking processes, perception, etc., that comprise the functions of the brain.

kentix

English - U.S.
    I don't think there's much difference in a plastic toy. :) He probably doesn't even have an actual plastic brain.