hash browns / hash brown

Discussion in 'English Only' started by gloria_taipei, Oct 5, 2008.

1. gloria_taipei Senior Member

Taipei
    Taiwan, Chinese
    Hello, everyone!

The dictionary lists hash browns as plural noun. Does that mean it's always used as hash browns? Can I say a hash brown?

2. bibliolept

bibliolept Senior Member

Northern California
    AE, Español
    Yes, it's always "hash browns," like "grits."

3. gloria_taipei Senior Member

Taipei
    Taiwan, Chinese
    Thank you, bibliolept, for the answer.

If I want to refer to the singular form, should I say a piece of hash browns?

I'd also like to know why it's always used as hash browns. What does the plural form mean?

4. JamesM

JamesM à la Mod (English Only)

Until the invention of these small puck-like objects at fast food restaurants a piece of hash browns would not make any sense. Hash browns are a conglomeration of shredded potato strips that have been fried in a pan.

Here is one image of traditional hash browns:

http://cookingtrainer.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/hashbrowns.jpg

Here is an image of the new hockey puck style of hash browns:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2404/2112892588_a89fb85d05.jpg

I can imagine ordering "a hash brown" when ordering the hockey puck. Each one is a separate identifiable block. I can't see ordering traditional hash browns in any way but the plural.

When something is a mixture or agglomeration like this and the plural is used (such as "scrambled eggs") we don't really refer to a portion of the mixture as a piece. You could have a portion of scrambled eggs or hash browns or a serving of either, but not a piece of either.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2008
  5. gloria_taipei Senior Member

Taipei
    Taiwan, Chinese
    Thank you, JamesM, for the detailed explanation. Now it makes sense to me.

Traditional hash browns look tasty. I might try to make them next time I feel like having potatoes. :)

6. Harry Batt

Harry Batt Senior Member

Minneapolis
    USA English
    I got in this a little late. To some degree, it is possible to order some hash browns in the singular. First, order a couple eggs, some bacon, coffee and toast. Then, usually as an after thought, " . . . and give me a side of hash browns." THE COOK "Only a side?" CUSTOMER "Yes, only a side." A side will likely be nothing less than what James says it will be; a complete order of the plural hash browns. Some eating places might serve less than a full order as "a side." Seldom, if ever, will youi hear "side of hash browns" in the kitchern of somebody's home where it is always hash browns.

7. sdgraham

sdgraham Senior Member

Oregon, USA
    USA English
    "Hash browns" is a corrupted shorthand reference to "hashed browned potatoes." Pedantic speakers, such as myself, insist on writing it "hashed browns" rather than succumb to what I call the "disappearing 'ed' syndrome, e.g. "whip cream," "can goods," etc.

"Hashed browns" since it already refers to a plural cannot be further pluralized.

8. gloria_taipei Senior Member

Taipei
    Taiwan, Chinese
    Hi, Harry Batt. It's not too late yet. But I have difficulty understanding what you said. I'll have to read it a few times more.

Thanks to sdgraham for the input as well. I feel the same way.