hasta(lar)

< Previous | Next >
İyi akşamlar!

I would just like to make sure that I understand the following topic correctly and my reasoning makes sense to you:

We can say "they are ill" in different ways:

1) Onlar hastadırlar - the full / default form. However, we normally omit "-dir" in this case in spoken Turkish.
2) Onlar hastalar - When we omit "-dir" in colloquial Turkish, we get this form. However, this "-lar" is superfluous as "onlar" already shows us that we talk about "them". There's no reason to keep "-lar", we omit it, too.
3) Onlar hasta - As a result, we get this sentence.
4) Hastalar - However, in Turkish, personal pronouns are normally omitted. That's why we can omit "onlar", but then we need to use the right personal affix to show who are talking about (lar).

Result: the best way of saying this: "Hastalar", "onlar hasta" is also acceptable. The other two are just too heavy. Right?

Is my understanding correct or there are some subte details, nuances and differences in their meanings?

Thank you in advance!

With kind regards,
JW

• misi2991

Turkish
    İyi akşamlar,

They are all Turkish phrases. Without any context, I can't say one is better than the others. However, note that that -dır in the first sentence can be used to talk about a possibility.

< Previous | Next >