hat trick (European football)

Roi Marphille

Catalonia, Catalan.
Hi football lovers (soccer),
I've been told that a "hat trick" is:
when a player scores three goals in the same period (half).
but
like most of people in my country (including media), I believe that it is not necessary for that to be in the same half, is it?
Or, is it different in England?

cheers,
Roi-naldinho :D

• whatonearth

UK, English
    No, in England (and everywhere else in the world) a hat-trick is when a player scores three times in the same match. It doesn't matter if they are all scored in one half or not. It might be different in other sports but in football (soccer) this is how it is.

cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    It's the same, as Whatonearth has stated, in other places. In the U.S. it was originally used mostly for ice hockey, but has now spread to other sports. It is used figuratively outside of sports.

cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    from the Online Etymology Dictionary:

c.1877, originally from cricket, "taking three wickets on three bowls;" extended to other sports (esp. ice hockey) c.1909. Allegedly because it entitled the bowler to receive a hat from his club commemorating the feat (or entitled him to pass the hat for a cash collection), but also infl. by the image of a conjurer pulling things from his hat (though hat trick in this sense is not attested until 1886).

panjandrum

Occasional Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Roi Marphille said:
    [...] I'd like to hear the opinion of some football fans from UK. [...]
    I don't know about whatonearth, whose view is expressed above, but I don't come into the category of "football fans".
    However, I can be confident that a hat trick in soccer is three goals in any match, not necessarily in one half - never heard of that idea.

The chance of any UK football fan responding to any thread here in the next hour and half is zero. They are currently glued to a David and Goliath match in which, sadly, David is losing 0-2.

panjandrum

Occasional Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    ???? But it's only half-time ????
    Maybe we are at cross purposes, Ma'am, but I was talking about David = Burton Albion, not Beckham:D, Goliath = ManU.

Please talk quietly in case we get spotted. On the other hand, either Saha or Rossi could add another two goals for ManU and make it to a hat trick in this match, which would of course be back on topic.

NealMc

UK English
    Hi
    The excellent "Soccer AM" on Saturday morning UK TV has championed the true hat trick:

Left foot
    Right foot
    Header

If you have access to Sky Sports 1, I recommend it (Sat 9:30 GMT).

Cheers
    Neal Mc

Roi Marphille

Catalonia, Catalan.
    NealMc said:
    Hi
    The excellent "Soccer AM" on Saturday morning UK TV has championed the true hat trick:

Left foot
    Right foot
    Header

If you have access to Sky Sports 1, I recommend it (Sat 9:30 GMT).

Cheers
    Neal Mc
    I really regret to not have access to that program. I love football!
    oh...maybe I could step into an Irish or English pub in town, I bet they are broadcasting it. :rolleyes:
    Thanks for the advise anyway!
    cheers,
    Roi

< Previous | Next >