hat trick (European football)

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Roi Marphille, Jan 18, 2006.

1. Roi Marphille

Roi Marphille Senior Member

Moronland
    Catalonia, Catalan.
    Hi football lovers (soccer),
    I've been told that a "hat trick" is:
    when a player scores three goals in the same period (half).
    but
    like most of people in my country (including media), I believe that it is not necessary for that to be in the same half, is it?
    Or, is it different in England?

cheers,
    Roi-naldinho :D

2. virtdave Senior Member

California/Creuse
    english, USA
  3. whatonearth Senior Member

UK, English
    No, in England (and everywhere else in the world) a hat-trick is when a player scores three times in the same match. It doesn't matter if they are all scored in one half or not. It might be different in other sports but in football (soccer) this is how it is.

4. Roi Marphille

Moronland
    Catalonia, Catalan.
    thanks, I didn't think about Wikipedia! anyway, I'd like to hear the opinion of some football fans from UK. I wonder what media is saying about in England..
    Anyway, I only had one hat-trick in all my career! it was in 1988 or something :D great day to remember. (for my ego):D

5. cuchuflete

cuchuflete Senior Member

Maine, EEUU
    EEUU-inglés
    It's the same, as Whatonearth has stated, in other places. In the U.S. it was originally used mostly for ice hockey, but has now spread to other sports. It is used figuratively outside of sports.

6. cuchuflete

cuchuflete Senior Member

Maine, EEUU
    EEUU-inglés
    from the Online Etymology Dictionary:

7. panjandrum

panjandrum Occasional Moderator

Belfast, Ireland
    English-Ireland (top end)
    I don't know about whatonearth, whose view is expressed above, but I don't come into the category of "football fans".
    However, I can be confident that a hat trick in soccer is three goals in any match, not necessarily in one half - never heard of that idea.

The chance of any UK football fan responding to any thread here in the next hour and half is zero. They are currently glued to a David and Goliath match in which, sadly, David is losing 0-2.

8. Not a football fan Panj, but deighted to tell you that David has won! Complete victory. A real broth of a boy with his wee sling and stone. :D

9. panjandrum

panjandrum Occasional Moderator

Belfast, Ireland
    English-Ireland (top end)
    ???? But it's only half-time ????
    Maybe we are at cross purposes, Ma'am, but I was talking about David = Burton Albion, not Beckham:D, Goliath = ManU.

Please talk quietly in case we get spotted. On the other hand, either Saha or Rossi could add another two goals for ManU and make it to a hat trick in this match, which would of course be back on topic.

10. NealMc Senior Member

Birmingham
    UK English
    Hi
    The excellent "Soccer AM" on Saturday morning UK TV has championed the true hat trick:

Left foot
    Right foot
    Header

If you have access to Sky Sports 1, I recommend it (Sat 9:30 GMT).

Cheers
    Neal Mc

11. Roi Marphille

Moronland
    Catalonia, Catalan.
    I really regret to not have access to that program. I love football!
    oh...maybe I could step into an Irish or English pub in town, I bet they are broadcasting it. :rolleyes:
    Thanks for the advise anyway!
    cheers,
    Roi